SHE nailed it.

A weekend or so ago Nick and I (having a child free moment) found ourselves at a College Basketball Game.  Within about 10 minutes this guy behind us started getting real obnoxious with his heckling. Which in turn created some irritation in his closest neighbor (an older fellow) who after a moment or two of arguing and swatting him with a newspaper decided to go full-on spider monkey on him. Luckily the old man’s wife (who seemed like a pro at this by now) wrangled him in like a mother trying to drag her 4 year old out of a Chuck-E-Cheese. Eventually, she separated them and sat in between so he calmed down and the many spectators redirected their focus back to the court.

This whole experience gave me a baaaad case of Second Hand Embarrassment or SHE.
Second Hand Embarrassment  is when you are embarassed for someone who is not you. It is (in my opinion) far far worse than first hand embarrassment.  I have, for a long time wondered why that would be, I finally think I know. I figure, if it comes to my attention that I am doing or saying something embarrassing (which happens on a very regular basis) I have choices, I can: stop what I’m doing or saying, back pedal, run away, laugh at myself, rip on myself, pretend I was joking, make excuses….and so forth, but when you are suffering from SHE you just have to sit there and take it. Feeling all of the embarrassment that they should be feeling, with absolutely nothing to do about it. It’s excruciating.

None of that has anything to do with anything. So if you are now having SHE from me right now for throwing some weird story into my cute nail polish post, my apologies.
In my defense  I found this nail polish at that very game. The girl in front of me was wearing it, I had to ask what color it was and she said she has like 10 bottles (just in case) because it’s all she ever wears, ever.
I get why it’s a pretty great color. Fiji was ordered and on it’s way before we left the stadium.

love this polish

Essie Color called Fiji {get it here}

Kallie Papkie (@blondeeambition)
    March 18, 2013 at 5:08 am

i have that colour, it looks amazing with a tan!

Hannah E Trotter
    March 18, 2013 at 6:04 am

I don’t have that exact polish, my nails are that exact same shade right now. I do declare I’ve never felt so stylish in all my life 😉 haha

March 18, 2013 at 6:21 am

Love that color! I have been looking for a new shade for spring, I think that may be perfect. Thanks!

March 18, 2013 at 6:28 am

hahah I loved your SHE story. I have suffered from episodes of SHE all my life and I must agree that it is worse. And now I totally get why! Thanks for making not feel like I’m the only nerd who gets this.
    love the nail colour!

March 18, 2013 at 6:33 am

•Hahaha!!! I totally get the SHE thing. Good stuff, Cara.
    •For hard working ladies (think, hands in the sink), Essie is long-lasting! I paint my nails ever Saturday night for church the next morning….by Sunday afternoon they are always trashed. With Essie, they still had ZERO chips on MONDAY (and I don’t wear gloves when I do the dishes….I know….bad, bad, bad)!!!
    •Great minds: “Nailed It!” is what I called my nail polish board on Pinterest. 🙂

March 18, 2013 at 7:24 am

such a pretty nude color, so simple but yet so elegant at the same time. Love it

Maddy Cane
    March 18, 2013 at 7:29 am

It is such a pretty colour, I use it too! xx

March 18, 2013 at 8:01 am

I have this color, its one of my all time favorites. So so pretty and chic.

March 18, 2013 at 8:09 am

oh man i love it. how many coats did you need to use? Essie has been perfection lately. or maybe all the nail salons i go to only carry Essie

March 18, 2013 at 8:30 am

Wait, I’m dying. I get the worst case of the SHE when I watch movies. Can’t. Handle. Awkwardness.

March 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

I can totally relate to your SHE story and I too for a very long time wondered why it made me feel more embarrassed than the actual person – which in most cases was my ex. I came to the conclusion that the person I was with and the way they were behaving reflected on me and my personal choices too; yes he was responsible for his own behavior but, I chose to be with that person afterall. It does get very embarrassing and hence why he’s now an ex 🙂 Fiji has been on my list of Essie colors I have to pick up; love that creamy pink finish!

March 18, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love you…

Lisa G
    March 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thank you for giving a name to my husband’s quirk…SHE! I read your post to him and he was rolling. That completely describes him! He can’t even watch awkward parts in movies without leaving the room because he gets embarrassed for the people in the movie! Reality TV is out of the question for him because he gets a horrible case of the SHE’s! Haha! That made our morning!

March 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

Love Essie’s Fiji! I really love Ballet Slippers by Essie too

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns)
    March 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

Love that color, wonder what it would look like on fair skin….

March 18, 2013 at 11:46 am

Could you do a post on the very trendy “cat eye liner?” There are several ways to do it, and I’m not sure which one is the best for my eye/face. Also, what are the best liquid eyeliners? Do you have a favorite?

Shio W.
    March 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Oh my, you are too funny! “SHE”, i like that 🙂 And don’t worry your story was great and did not make me have a “SHE” moment 😉 But that is super crazy, I am glad that myself or my hubby wouldn’t ever be caught in a moment like that! Great nail color, but too bad my skin is a bit darker and I don’t think light colors like that are great on me. Hope you have a lovely Monday!

Taylor Morgan
    March 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I have experienced “SHE” many times! Haha!

& I love that nail polish color.

March 18, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is a gorgeous color! I love baby pink – it looks great on fingers and toes! Essie polishes are so nice – I love the formula!

March 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Please tell me your secret/products to keep Essie polish on?!? I use a base coat and top coat and it chips within hours. I have tried different colors with the same result. I have asked others and they say they have the same problem. I love their colors.

March 19, 2013 at 6:06 am

Essie lasts for days for me….which is surprising considering I have my hands in the sink all the time. No other brand stays on as long….again, for me. Try skipping the base coat? Good luck!

March 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Hahaha so hilarious, I HATE when my man gets SHE especially when we are watching TV… He literally will change the channel if something embarrassing is about to happen to someone, now I know to grab the remote or threaten him not to change it lol. BTW I love Fiji! Xox

March 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

That colour is gorgeous – I may have to try that to brighten up the coming winter!

March 18, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I have a very similar color in Sinful Colors called “Easy Going” or 300, it looks almost salmon in the bottle, and looks very pale until it dries, but dries a very pretty pale, pale pink. You can get it from Walgreens for super cheap. I think I paid $1.99 for it!

March 19, 2013 at 5:16 am

how do u get sinful colors polish to stay on?!?! i LOVEEE their colors but it chips literally that day, or just pops off and i find pieces of it everywhere! 🙁

March 19, 2013 at 6:09 am

Agreed… favorite color is a Sinful Color but it doesn’t last for even a few hours. I thought it was just me. :•/

March 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I know, I haven’t actually found the secret to non-chipping nails. The only thing I really do is touch up as needed until I’m ready for a new color.

March 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Apparently I wasn’t the only one that noticed the difference

March 19, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Apparently I was really tired last night and couldn’t get out a coherent thought. I think what i meant to say was apparently i wasn’t the only one that noticed the similarities?

March 19, 2013 at 8:40 am

I love this color, I found pretty much the same color but for cheaper, its sally hansen hard as nails brand. If i remember correctly its around $2.

March 20, 2013 at 8:20 am

SHE hahahaha. If I had a super power I wish it could be to save people from embarrassing situations! Love you to the moon.

March 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

Fiji has been my favorite nail polish color for a few years now. It really is the perfect pale pink! Glad you found it!

Crystal Radford
    March 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Got me a bottle of this last week. Love this color and surprised at how long the polish has stayed on bare nails.

April 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm

The Essie color that I am loving right now is Mademoiselle, it is the most perfect sheer pink. Two coats has lasted me almost two weeks!

April 14, 2013 at 12:34 am

My sister gifted me this polish as part of an “engaged girl” package. I’ve loved it when I’ve worn it (which isn’t very much). You inspire me to give it another go!