Before & Afters Makeup

maria – Makeover Monday

When I met Maria I was blown away at how beautiful she was.
gorgeous skin, eyes, bone structure…

Plus I noticed she kind of looked like Eva Mendez

After a fair amount of hinting around she agreed to let me play dress up with my makeups (Christian is in a phase of adding an S to everything. i.e yesterday when he dropped some eyeshadow on the carpet he went and grabbed his golf clubs and said “Mommy, can I golf your makeups?)

I had a lot of fun and she is a new mom so I got to see her little munchkin. Which didn’t make me baby hungry at all, not even a little. I mean he has the chubbiest little cheeks, and that baby powder smell, and how comfortably he fits in that little nook on my elbow…OK, a little baby hungry.

The fun of HACing (highlighting and contouring)

I really wanted to add a little bit more of a striking arch to her brow and draw a lot off attention her beautiful brown eyes. I used mostly nude colors on her lids ( Lorac Palettle Lt. Bronze & Nude) then lined with black liquid liner (all around her eye even in her lower  tearline…sounds crazy but if you are careful it can be a good way to get dark black in there quickly) Followed by some light contouring on the chest, nose and cheeks with Bahama Mama Bronzer. Then I did some glowy highlighting by adding my illuminator to my concealer and placing that in two triangles under her eyes in her nose and chin.
Then some Covergirl Mink eyeliner to line her lips and NYX nude lipstick (Love this color!)

I think when a baby comes and your days and nights seem blend together into one big half-awake blur. Sometimes you just need a little something more than your hurried shower routine to remind yourself that yes, you’re a mom, but you’re still a smokin’ hot babe too.

Hope your Monday is a good one:)

PS I took the weekend off so I am getting to all the comments and answers etc. as soon as I get the little one down tonight!

Maddy Cane
    February 11, 2013 at 2:17 am

I love the final look, especially the eyes! xx

February 11, 2013 at 2:19 am

Love love love your blog! And your down to earth approach! It’s a God-send for a new mommy! I’m wondering about proper application techniques with the sephora liquid eyeliner that you use so frequently. I’ve never felt comfortable using liquid only cake or pencil for me. Any videos I may consult? Thank you so much for all the inspiration! Hugs! W

Maggie F.
    February 11, 2013 at 2:19 am

Wow! She’s a knockout! You’re so wonderful, Cara. I had my daughter a year and a half ago and it wasn’t until I found your blog and your awesome “mommy makeup” tutorial that I started to feel beautiful again. I look forward to your new posts every week. You are truly inspiring! Thank you! 🙂

February 11, 2013 at 2:29 am

What foundation and bronzer did you use? brand/formula/shade

February 11, 2013 at 2:31 am

gorgeous!! like usual!

February 11, 2013 at 3:01 am

Pretty girl to exotic bombshell! Did you shade the collar bone area?
    Your blog is always fun and informative!

Liza Lu
    February 11, 2013 at 3:09 am

Wow! Holy gorgeous! Very Eva Mendes 🙂 another great post!

Natalie Smith
    February 11, 2013 at 3:34 am

More like Rosario Dawson!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    February 11, 2013 at 4:44 am

I love her haircut!

Victoria Gonzalez
    February 11, 2013 at 5:19 am

Love you. Just curious, have you done any tutorials for light skin, hazel eyes and red hair. It’s like nothing looks right with the new hair color. Thank you.

February 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

She is so naturally beautiful! She looks like a mix between Eva Mendez and Rosario Dawson!

February 11, 2013 at 5:42 am

Love this look Cara, what highlighter did you use??? Nadine

liz @ btb
    February 11, 2013 at 6:08 am

I’m dying over her eyebrows! Totally gorgeous.

February 11, 2013 at 7:01 am

Miracle worker!! She’s beautiful before but with a little of your touch she turned into a sex pot! I just need to figure out your tricks!!

February 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hi Cara! Do you have any tricks on how to keep lipstick on longer?

February 11, 2013 at 8:15 am

Love this! I also love that you used the Lorac palette, it’s great! Have you ever considered doing a series where you do different looks using the same 3 or 4 products? I have seen this makeup challenge on Refinery 29 (4 products to make 7 makeup looks and they recently did another one like this with 5 products) and Total Beauty did a challenge where each girl did 3 looks using 3 products (color items like blush, eyeliner, etc only, they didn’t count foundation or mascara). The ones I have seen were good but I am curious to see how you would do it because you are so talented and smart! Either way I just want to say I am such a fan of your site!

February 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

What I would give to have you do my face…..just once!!! LOVE your blog!

February 11, 2013 at 8:42 am

What did you use for contour?

February 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm

ha! I hate when I do that! I totally forgot to add that, Bahama Mama…shockingly!

February 11, 2013 at 9:07 am

Holy crap! When I saw the first picture I was like, God she’s beautiful, and when I looked at the second one I thought I was going to die! Stunning!

February 11, 2013 at 9:26 am

this is AMAZING!!!!!!!! I didn’t know how you could make her prettier, but you did!

I have freckles and never cover them up, but i there a way of highlighting them even more?

February 11, 2013 at 10:18 am

love, love, love!!!

February 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm

LOVE this look (as usual). How big is the triangle under her eyes? And can we get a hair tutorial please??? I love it! Including the bangs side swept, please. 🙂

February 11, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Love the HAC-ing! She is stunning anyway but the HAC-ing really takes it to the next level. Sadly my own attempts so far seem to make my nose look bigger and more prominent instead of thinner, esp the tip (I’m using Rimmel Natural Bronzer in Sun Bronze). I wonder what am I doing wrong?

My second question is about her eyebrows. You made them arch so prettily and I was wondering how you did that since her natural brows seem pretty full. I’ve been having trouble with the techniques in your basic brow tutorial because my brows are also on the full side. Do you have any suggestions?

Btw I’ve been rocking the Valentine’s Day smokey eye every single day since you posted it, even though I work from home :). I used to bother with make-up only once every 5-6 weeks but ever since I discovered your blog and your natural, no fuss, no rules vision I’ve been playing with my face every day. Thank you!

P.S. Inspired by your multitasking approach to makeup products I came up with a DIY “nude” color to downplay my pigmented lips: a thick layer of burts bees balm with some light face powder patted on top and smeared across the full lip to mix. It’s not a long term solution but it looks great and has lasted for a few hours now :).

February 12, 2013 at 12:57 am

LOVE the makeup, hair cut and the color. She is gorgeous.

Barbara Lord
    February 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Just Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm

holy eyebrows! amazing how it still looks like her, just better! I am not a makeup girl at all but stumbled onto your blog. I definitely feel a little prettier with your tips! I tried going to makeup counters to get the techniques, but ended up looking like I was wearing a mask. not cool.

Anyways, I love that her eyebrows just pop! any tips for reshaping?

Love your blog!

February 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm

She’s a little Rachel McAdams too don’t ya think? Great transformation nevertheless ;D

February 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I was wondering your expert opinion on mousse blush. I have extremely dry skin especially on my cheeks, and when I use powder on them it looks flakey. I use Cetaphil moisturizer because my skin is also really sensitive. I do not usually use foundation I just HAC. I was wondering if the mousse blush would be a better fit for my skin or if it would mess with the HACing where everything else is powder?

February 13, 2013 at 9:44 am

I love your blog. I don’t wear any make up (and don’t have any kids), but after seeing your mommy makeup video I have bought the makeup you used and tried your tips and love it! very natural and very easy! thank you

February 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Gorgeous! What did you use as an illuminator?

February 15, 2013 at 4:35 am

Absolutely knocked me off my feet! Fantastic makeup and gorgeous girl to start. I totally thought Rosario Dawson when I first looked at her. Another amazing makeover. I may just need to stop by the next time I’m in AZ!

Laurel Griffin
    February 20, 2013 at 7:28 am

She looks beautiful! I was wondering how you did her hair? I have short hair and have a hard time finding different ways to curl it. But I love how her hair looks.

February 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Can you pretty pretty pleeeeaaaasssse recommend a good nude lip for those of us with more pigmented lips? I bought and tried the NYX matte in Nude, but it just looked really chalky and unnatural on me. I am a natural brunette with brown eyes and medium fair skin with a yellow undertone- basically the most BORING combination!

April 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

What did you do to make the more dramatic arch in her eyebrows? Mine are very similar and I’m always wanting to make them look more like this!

April 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Movie Star!!! That’s what I think we I see her.

June 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

The mole on her right cheek, did you enhance a mole that was already there or create a fake one for symmetry purposes?

Laura @ Lulu Belle Design
    July 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

OMG I just found out about your blog, in love! She looks AMAZING!
    what did you mean about by: “placing that in two triangles under her eyes in her nose and chin.”
    how big of a triangle under her eyes? and just along the bridge of the nose? how much on the chin?
    I don’t like using concealer cause I hate the feel of it, but sometimes I will mix it or lotion with illuminator but I don’t feel like i know how or where i should really apply it

July 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm

before picture she looks like Rachel mcadams. you do beautiful work. your presentation is warm and attainable. I love how you make it seem so easy and effortless

Haley W.
    November 15, 2013 at 12:47 pm

So beautiful <3

Mandi Gottfredson
    August 30, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Wow, that last picture looks like Julia Roberts.