My Favorites My Life

Love is spelled T.I.M.E.

I am sure many of you have heard this before but it is one of my absolute favorite stories so I wanted to share it:
(an excerpt from “To a Child, Love is Spelled T-I-M-E”)

In the faint light of the attic, an old man, tall and stooped, bent his great frame and made his way to a stack of boxes that sat near one of the little half-windows. Brushing aside the wisps of cobwebs, he tilted the top box toward the light and began to carefully lift out one old photograph album after another. Eyes once bright but now dim searched longingly for the source that had drawn him here. It began with a fond recollection of the love of his life, long gone, and somewhere in these albums was a photo of her he hoped to rediscover. Silent as a mouse, he patiently opened the long buried treasures and soon was lost in a sea of memories.
Although his world had not stopped spinning when his wife left it, the past was more alive in his heart than his present aloneness. Setting aside one of the dusty albums, he pulled from the box what appeared to be a journal from his grown son’s childhood. He could not recall ever having seen it before, or that his son had ever kept a journal. Why did always save the children’s old junk? he wondered, shaking his white head.
Opening the yellowed pages, he glanced over a short reading, and his lips curved in an unconscious smile. Even his eyes brightened as he read the words that spoke clear and sweet to his soul. It was the voice of the little boy who had grown up far too fast in this very house, and whose voice had grown fainter and fainter over the years. In the utter silence of the attic, the words of a guileless six-year-old worked their magic and carried the old man back to a time almost totally forgotten.
Entry after entry stirred a sentimental hunger in his heart like the longing a gardener feels in the winter for the fragrance of spring flowers. But it was accompanied by the painful memory that his son’s simple recollections of those days were far different from his own. But how different? Reminded that he had kept a daily journal of his business activities over the years, he closed his son’s journal and turned to leave,  down a carpeted stairway that led to the den.
Opening a glass cabinet door, he reached in and pulled out an old business journal. Turning, he sat down at his desk and placed the two journals beside each other. His was leather-bound and engraved neatly with his name in gold, while his son’s was tattered and the name ‘Jimmy’ had been nearly scuffed from its surface. He ran a long skinny finger over the letters, as though he could restore what had been worn away with time and use. As he opened his journal the old man’s eyes fell upon an inscription that stood out because it was so brief in comparison to other days.
In his own neat handwriting were these words:
Wasted the whole day fishing with Jimmy. Didn’t catch a thing.
With a deep sigh and a shaking hand, he took Jimmy’s journal and found the boy’s entry for the same day, June 4.
Large scrawling letters, pressed deeply into the paper, read:
Went fishing with my dad. Best day of my life.
My boys

January 26, 2013 at 6:47 am

What a great reminder that the little things mean so much to our kids. Thanks for sharing

January 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

I wish more parents would practice this. Seems like T-I-M-E is now replaced by E-L-E-C-T-R-O-N-I-C-S and it honestly makes me concerned for our future generation (what on Earth does a 5 year old need with a cell phone?). I am so glad you posted this, Cara, as you reach such a wide audience with your blog – I only hope as people read this they will reflect on their own lives and really evaluate how much quality time they spend with their loved ones.

January 26, 2013 at 7:41 am

Just ordered a copy on Amazon. With a very smart active “almost 4-year old” I often get frustrated because I’m working, or trying to clean or cook, etc and really if I sat down for 20 min before I started all that, she’d be happy. Patience sometimes isn’t my strong suit, can’t wait to read it!

January 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

Beautiful post to start the weekend focusing on what matters most! Thank you for sharing!

January 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

Needed that today-totally- thanks for sharing:)

January 26, 2013 at 8:24 am

Gorgeous photo of your boys! I love it when my kids announce “that was the best day ever”! Thanks for sharing such a sweet post. As an aside, my daughter and I were watching one of your videos last night on the lounge together, using one side of a headset each to listen- so we wouldn’t annoy the younger brother 😉 – one of my “best moments ever” 🙂 Thank you!

January 26, 2013 at 8:55 am

Thank you for sharing this, so important to cherish each moment with our kids, time passes much too fast.

Maddy Cane
    January 26, 2013 at 9:08 am

Lovely story!

January 26, 2013 at 9:26 am

man, did that make me cry! Too many times we’re rushing our babies around, trying to get chores, shopping and other errands ran and all they want is to be with us. Great reminder!

January 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

Love this. Thank you!

January 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

That made my heart absutely melt! Thank you!

January 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

Thank you for posting this. What a touching story. Time goes way too fast!

Ella Pretty (@Ellaprettyblog)
    January 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Oh my goodness – that made me tear up…reminded me of yesterday – we picked up ice cream for my husband’s birthday, and as my 5-year old son ate it he said “this is the best day every” – I love how such little things mean so much to them at this age.

Thanks for posting this Cara!

Bethany A.
    January 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

My baby boy is 6 weeks old and today has been an emotional day of packing up his newborn clothes to give to another baby we know. This just made me so very tearful! I hope I never “waste” a day that is spent with my child, but rather, cherish them all. I wish every parent could read this when their child was still young.

January 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I hadn’t heard this before. I’m a stay at home mom of two, 2 and under and some days I feel like my days have flown by and that I haven’t accomplished much. There are always things to do, like laundry, and church callings, but after reading this, it has put it into perspective that eventhough the day didn’t play out as I would have wanted, to my children, it was the best day of their lives. Thank you again!

January 27, 2013 at 1:41 am

Thank you so much for this story – it made me cry and I feel so touched!Though I don`t have children yet, I have to double appreciate time that i spend with my Mum and my grandparents! For old people the time that we find to call them or come over also means a gret deal!

Your son is adorable, such a sunny smile!

Erica V
    January 27, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I enjoy following your blogs. You are beautiful inside & out. Keep posting:)

January 28, 2013 at 11:09 am

This made me cry like a baby. So sweet and I love that picture!

Lindsey S
    February 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Amazing post Cara. Your blog is as good as they come. xoxox