Beauty Basics Hair Hair Tutorials Tips & Tricks Tutorials

Party Hair!

This hair looks like it takes forever but it really doesn’t and for me at least it lasts for DAYS!
Just throw some dry shampoo into the roots and hairspray in the morning. Easy as chocolate pie (if you buy the crust cause otherwise pie really isn’t very easy at all.)

A. When my hair is damp I run the Oil-licious through the bottom half of of my hair.
B. Spritz dry hair with some heat protectant. (I am loving all of the GOT2Be products lately! so inexpensive and awesome!)
C. 1/2 Inch curling iron. (it doesn’t need to be a wand just don’t use the clamp if it’s an iron)

1. Section off hair.
2. Wrap 1 inch locks around iron tightly and as close to the root as you can without getting burned.
Leave out the bottom 3rd of the hair out.
Hold for 8 seconds
3. Gently wrap the bottom third of the hair loosely around the iron  and hold for 4 seconds. Repeat. Curling the entire head in 1 inch sections rotating away from your face and towards your face for curl direction. leave out bang area.

4. Curl the bangs away from your face wrapping the hair loosely from root to ends and holding for 4 seconds.
Let hair rest for 5 minutes.
5. SHAKE & SPRAY!! This hair style requires a  lot of shaking to get it looking big and natural. Then spray with a flex hold hairspray.
6. Flip your hair a lot to draw attention to your total hair hotness.

50 Comments

Maja
    December 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Love this! Quick question….how does the top, near your roots stay so straight? Does it just end up not holding when you curl so close to the roots? Also, do u typically part your hair after its curled or part it before you start curling?

Carey
      December 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

My personal experience, I would part before curling, otherwise, at least for me, it just doesn’t look right.

Carey
      December 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Oh, one more tip, when you wash your hair before styling, go ahead and part your hair while it’s wet and let it either air dry or blow it dry that way. That usually helps my part stay where I want it. Hope this helps!

Carey
    December 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I am so very excited to try this! Thanks, Cara!

Melissa Harrison
    December 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I was wondering is your hair all real? Or do you have extensions at all? If so where do you recommend getting extensions?

Danielle
    December 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

You are such a stunner Cara, inside and out! Thanks for this tutorial, love it.

Cara
      December 31, 2012 at 11:05 am

thank you Danielle!

Gabrielle Kemp
    December 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Looks lovely!- As always.
    Question: Do you tease, then curl?…I tease my hair (its so straight) but it never seems to stay, then curl away!…How do you get your volume? And how do you get it to stay?

Cara
      December 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

I don’t have to tease with this hair curl because the curls are tight and since I start so close to the root it really adds volume! I sprayed it in the end with a flex hold hairspray Kerastase Laque Double Force
      YOu can also try using gel while its still wet to convince it to curl better!

Gabrielle Kemp
        January 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

VERY TRUE! Thanks girl!

Markel Crandall`
    December 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

What kind of dry shampoo do you use? I tried on and where I have dark hair it made my hair look white at the roots?? am i using it wrong??

Cara
      December 31, 2012 at 11:10 am

haha no it does that to me too, you just have to kind of rub it in and shake it really well before you spray. I really love the Got2be dry shampoo, here a link: Got2b Rockin’ It Dry Shampoo

Janna
    December 28, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I loooove that big sexy hair! I am also curious about a good dry shampoo. I have never purchased any and don’t know quite what I’m looking for. And how on earth do you get so much volume? I want my hair to look that good! 🙂

Joanna
    December 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I loooove this style! I would also like to know what brand of dry shampoo you use – I can never seem to find one that works for me!

meghan
    December 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I have really long hair down fo my back an it is very thick an heavy. I love cruls an the different styles tgat I see everyone wearing but whe. I go to crul my hair it don’t work like I would hope it would. so my question to you is that someone with long an thick hair like mines is how do I get my hair to actually hold the curls for more then 10 minutes? when I curl my hair it will curl a kinda like I want it but only last 10-15 minutes an I would love for it to hold all day an a very pretty style. please help me with some tips on jow ro get my hair to hold curls for the whole day. thank you very much!!!

Thedressychick
    December 29, 2012 at 12:45 am

Just beautiful! Theres a reason you are on my Pintrest…check it out if you want, it’s under thedressychick. Tata for now 🙂

Diana
    December 29, 2012 at 7:31 am

Absolutely love your hair!!!! Wish I had more volume…..but your tips do work!!! Thanks Cara!!! You are stunning!! Happy New Year!!! :))

Sandra
    December 29, 2012 at 7:49 am

Beautiful, definietly gonna try this out!

Kristin
    December 29, 2012 at 8:08 am

Love it, thank you i actually requested a video with the wand so this helps, but my hair tends to frizz out by the end of the day…Any suggestions?? I LOVE WHAT YOU DO..thank you

Rachel
    December 29, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ahhh your hair is PERFECT! Thank you for sharing!! I have a party tomorrow night actually!

you are gorgeous, girl!

Happy New Year!

carolyn
    December 29, 2012 at 10:11 am

Love the hair! Must try!
    Found you via Megan Shaheen! Met them while they were here in Buffalo doing dental school. Saw she photog’ed your wedding. Loved it!
    Nice to ‘meet’ you! Never knew this existed! Love new finds!!!

Wendy
    December 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

You are so adorabble! Love this style. I do miss the videos though, because you’re just so fun to watch! Happy New Year!

Tawny @ Glamorously Mommy
    December 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Love your post! What program do you use to make your graphics for your posts?

kate
    December 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm

looove it! wish my hair looked like this everyday 🙂 how many sections do you let down at a time?

Lauren
    December 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Ok seriously dying to know every time u talk about a hair style lasting u several days – do u brush it all in the following days or just finger comb or what?! Or put it in a bun or something at night?! Guidance needed ;)!!!! Xo

Megan
    December 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I was at Giant Eagle near Cleveland, Ohio and I walked down the hair care aisle and saw GOT2B Oil-Licious styling oil for 2.74. It was 50% off (originally 5.49). Underneath the label it said that it was 50% off because it was discontinued 🙁 I wasn’t sure if it was simply discontinued from Giant Eagle or if perhaps GOT2B was going to discontinue the oil completely. I thought I would give you a heads up because it seems to be product you go to often in your posts!

Anna
      January 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Megan, do you have a Walgreens? They are having a great sale right now in stores and online. You had me worried, so I stocked up!

Kendra
    December 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Why have I never thought of using my curling iron without the clamp? Duh!

I appreciated your comment about this style “lasting for days!”. My hair is very similar to yours and often looks it’s best on the 2nd or 3rd day ;). My bed head is never anything that a little oil and hairspray can’t fix, ha!

I have only been receiving your posts for a short while but I just wanted to commend you for such smart advice. You really cater to those of us that enjoy primping ourselves but don’t want to go overboard on buying overpriced products. Plus, I can’t shake the feeling that your a total sweetheart, something about your posts just seems so genuine and personal – keep it up!

BTW – I’m mom to 4 boys so really enjoy the posts about your little man!

Debbie
    December 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Debbie You are ADORABLE. I just discovered you, and am hooked.

My question is, could you show how to do mascara and eyeliner to look like faux lashes, without using faux lashes?

Debbie
    December 31, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Ooops! .. I mean CARA, *you* are adorable. 🙂 (not Debbie. Although, I’m pretty cute too.!!! JK. My Droid it’s constantly typo-ing and auto-correcting.. Irritating.)

I’m scared to try the faux lashes. I have short eyelashes, which is strange, because i have very long, thick hair. But not good lashes. Anyway, if i could find a pair of lashes that look ssssoooo natural that nobody could tell, I would try them. But all the ones I’ve seem, while they are pretty, you can tell they are faux. If like to find the most subtle ones on the market. Believe me, it would stool be a huge difference on my lashes.

So that’s why I’d like to do my real lashes with eyeliner and mascara in a way that makes them look more healthy and lush. (plus I’m afraid if i did the faux ones, they’d fall out on me in the middle of the day, like at my daughter’s school or something.)

Sorry thus I’d in the wrong place, I’m new. If there’s any way to move it to a lashes thread please do. Sorry!

Debbie
    December 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Sorry for my typos. Using Swype on Droid. Ugh.

Justine
    January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks, Cara! I used this tutorial as inspiration for my NYE hair and it looked amazing.

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen
    January 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Gorgeous! I’m so in love with Got2Be products too! I’ve never really thought to curl the length of hair in two sections but I can see how it gives a more natural look. I’m ALL ABOUT big hair so this may be an “everyday” hairstyle for me. Thanks!

Anna
    January 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Did this for my at home family NYE and loved it!! Loving your inexpensive alternatives!! BTW if you live near a Walgreens all Got 2B products are on sale 2 for 10. I of course, stocked up! It’s online too.
    PS: I’m Steph Matthews sister and I am forever thankful she told me about you! My friends in Austin are hooked on you and your awesome tips!

Sylvia
    January 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I love step 6 😉

Bridget Schade
    January 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Cara,

You suggest leaving out the bottom 3rd of your hair, why is that? Is that the section you start with or do you not curl that section at all?

Alex
    January 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Hi Cara! I just started following your site/pinterest and I love what you do! Thanks for posting all this great stuff! I wanted to ask, what you ask your hair stylist for to get your long layers! I have been the victim of stylists cutting too much out of my layers, leaving me with stragly ends 🙁 Even tho, I have thick hair! I’m just growing it out now at one length and want to make sure I describe the right thing when it is time to cut nice long layers into my hair. what do you ask for?? Thank you!! xo

Ali
    January 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm

do you just alternate back and forth between twisting the hair away from you face and towards you face?

Naomi
    February 6, 2013 at 10:21 am

Can you do this with GHDs??xx

IrenePal
    February 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Great! Do you have something for short hair too? my hair are wavy and up to shoulders… thank you

Ana
    February 17, 2013 at 8:25 am

did this hair style yesterday and got so many compliments on it! Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

Val
    May 6, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Can you post a video of you doing this hair? Seeing it done makes it easier for me to try and do my self. 🙂

foodiewithfamily
    April 12, 2014 at 6:23 am

This might be a lame question, but I promise you I’ve never learned this stuff. It’s all new to me! You say the hair style lasts you a couple of days. What do you do with you long hair when you go to bed? I have long straight hair down past the middle of my back. When I style it and go to bed it looks like a bird’s nest the next day. I’d love to know how to make it last!

foodiewithfamily
    April 12, 2014 at 6:24 am

Smith L
    April 26, 2014 at 7:50 am

Great. Would love trying it. Please post a video.

rebecca
    May 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I have one question: when you wrap the hair, are you laying it flat to get the ribbon effect, or are you letting the hair twist as your wrap?
    Thanks so much! 🙂

Lara-May
    August 18, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I have problems keeping my hairstyle overnight…any tips on how to sleep on hair and wake up with it still wearable…? My hair is really curly naturally so straightening out overnight is not a problem, rather it just turns into a tangle. Thanks!

juice extractor
    August 15, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Some simple steps to ensure proper site preparation and the insertion of the infusion set are as follows:
    juice extractor http://www.chinablender.com/case/hot-sale-heavy-duty-juice-extractor-mm-100