My Favorites My Life

How ’bout today?

I read this the other day (in a book called “Life as a Daymaker”)

“We convince ourselves that life will get better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren’t old enough and think we will be more content when they are. After that we are frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage. We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his act together, when we get a nice car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire…the truth is, there is no better time to be happy than right now, if not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It’s best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.”

It really struck me.
As much as I do consider myself a happy person there are times that I “save” my happiness for later. I realized when I read this that happiness doesn’t save. It has no shelf life. No roll over minutes.  If you don’t use it, you lose it.

Why waste such a beautiful thing?

Why not just enjoy the terrible twos …cause I’ve heard three can be even crazier!

ps I’ve had a lot of Q’s about HAC so I am working a a post that will answer all of them!

December 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thanks for your post today 🙂 I Came upon your blog the other day and I love it. My husband decided later in life to pursue a career in dentistry. We have three teenagers still living at home and life has been stressful financially, these past 4 years. He has decided to specialize so that means 2 more years… Today is our 18th wedding anniversary and with Christmas and it being the end of the semester, there is just zero money left to celebrate our anniversary with gifts and a fun night out like we used to. I have been telling myself all day that if I can just wait 2 more years, we will finally be able to celebrate and enjoy our anniversary. After reading your comments, I’ve decided there is no reason we can’t have fun and make our day special today. I just put his favorite cake in the oven, made a “happy anniversary” banner to hang over our bed post and hoping to make this anniversary just as memorable as any we’ve ever had. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today…

December 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks for posting this! It goes along with my current mindset, which is new to me and which your post inspired me to actually implement. My husband is in the military, and our life has been chaotic for the past 5 years (how long we’ve been together). I find myself in the same mindset–I’ll be happier once the military decides what its doing with us, when we get to the next duty station, when he earns the next rank, and now once he gets out and we relocate, etc. Then, on a personal level, I’ll be happier once I graduate from college next month, when my daughter is the next age, when I have more disposable income, when we have a second car, when I lose my last 10 lbs of baby weight, etc. I focus on all the stressful stuff, and I’m missing out on what is actually a very good life right here and now. I decided this past week to enjoy the moment more, tackle the tough stuff in a better mood, and turn some focus back on myself, my relationships, and my child. Life will move along as it will, and no amount of anxiety on my part will change it. Oh, and in order to be happy in the future, I should practice it now!

December 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

This is so awesome and so well said. I really needed this today. My 9month old is teething and hasn’t slept well for the last three days. I’m sitting at work like a zombie with overgrown eyebrows and chapped lips. LOL. I’m thinking to myself things will get better when he’s two or three. BUT you are absolutely right. We have to enjoy the moment. Next thing you know he will be like my seven year old…embarrased to see me show up at his 1st grade assembly taking pictures of him getting his first star student certificate.

December 17, 2012 at 10:36 am

Well said. Thanks for the reminder to be happy in your present situation.

December 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

Great post. A great reminder to everyone and even someone who also considers themselvtes a pretty happy person. Very versatile to everyone on any stage of their lives. I’ve been doing a lot of “planning for my future” lately, being 20 years o ld I figure this is common with people my age, and not a day goes by that I don’t feel like a clutz or that something is out of my reach but so close I can taste it. Not saving your happiness is hard when you feel surrounded by people who aren’t deserving. When you just be a happy little you people who are deserving will always come around, in any little form (say a person complimenting your smile).

December 17, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thank you for sharing that. We all can use that reminder. You are a wonderful woman and inspire many. Keep it up!

December 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thanks for the reminder. Especially during the holidays!!

December 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

Oh, wow.. I really needed to see this. I also like to think I enjoy life – and I am happy to be goofy and easily amused for that reason – but that passage hit it on the head; happiness happens when you make it happen.

Off to be happy!

December 17, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love this! I think everyone does this; we all look forward to the next stage as if it is going to be better and we’ll be more happy. We need to learn to find happiness everyday and enjoy the daily blessings we are given. Thank you for the reminder.

December 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

So true. Thanks for the thoughtful post. I believe that happiness is a choice – one I have made as of recently, thinking of similar sentiments you had in your post. It’s always good to be reminded. 🙂

December 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Funny how things like this post always come up when you need them most. Thank you! I love your blog and want to thank you for all the tips and advice you give. I have become a much more confident, happy, & pretty person because of it all! 🙂

December 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Give me a “terrible two” an day…. At three you consider trading them in. Boys being worse then girls at this stage of course.

Sophie Harris
    December 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm

. absolutely true . <3

December 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm

What a wonderful post as always! I look forward to reading your blog. You are such an amazing person! I am for sure going to be picking up a copy of this book. Such an inspirational post! Thanks again!

December 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

great realization. I feel “happiness” coming your way and mine!!!

December 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Dear Cara,

I dont know if we have a ton in common, you know, like if we went to school together or knew eachother through work, but I really really enjoy your blog. Thanks for the consistently good read.

December 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

You have no idea how bad I needed to hear this today. My family is going through a very trying time right now, and I’ve had to make a lot of personal sacrifices for the greater good. And although I hold no regrets for giving up certain passions of mine, I have thought to myself “when my kids are older I’ll do this or that again” but this quote brought me back to reality that I have a beautiful family whom I love with every fiber of my being. I will now stop my pity parties and enjoy the happiness I experience everyday! Thanks for the reminder!!!

December 18, 2012 at 6:40 am

Love this! This is something I try to remind my self often!

December 19, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Hi! Discovered your blog this morning via Pinterest. Just wanted to pop in and say that I really enjoy it 🙂

December 20, 2012 at 5:45 am

I Love Micklee’s complexion. I am having a hard time with foundation as the winter months in Philadelphia barrel through. I currently use Makeup Forever HD shade 125 which works in the summer but it looks too harsh as my skin mellows out. I am a yellowy complexion with pink undertones however my face is ALWAYS many shades lighter than my body (LOTS of sunscreen use.) so I tend to bronzer which lately is just looking odd (MAC Bronzer.)

I have tried a sample of NARS tinted moisturizer which has better coverage than most tinted’s and the fair color lends well to my tones however, I would LOVE some of your suggestions for foundation.

I def. need something with a bit of coverage as my cheeks tend to be a bit rosy. I just went out last night and purchased A LOT of products I have seen on your site. Especially those associated with the HAC tutorial (highlight concealer by maybelline, sephora fuchia blush etc.) I have found the concealer is helping to brighten my complexion but still feel I need a dewier brighter foundation that allows my “canvas” to take a back seat to the HAC, blush and eyes. I have a wedding saturday that I am doing sexy vs curls and heavy eye makeup for and I just need a better foundation.

I love how simple you make everything. I am a huge makeup lover and enjoy seeing new techniques. You are simply stunning and seem to be as equally sweet I wish you tons of success in your ventures! Your blog is wonderful!

Thanks for any input and happy holidays!

December 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Cara, love your blog! I walked in a hair show for the author of that book. He is as amazing in person as he is on paper and his team is equally wonderful. His words are something I try to remember everyday. Thanks for sharing.

December 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Love those pix. Yes, to enjoying those twos as you Know th ey get too big too fast.

December 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

Came over from Pinterest, and I’m hooked! Will be following your blog–and trying a few new looks. Happy holidays!

January 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I try my best to remember this, and yes, 3 is crazier, much. But I have a little girl, so our heads butt a little more than hers and her Daddy’s. Mom /Daughter relationsihp is definitely different. However I get frustrated, then try to take a step back and not “Wish Away” the stages she’s in. “If only they were able to feed themselves, If only they could go on the potty, etc”. I try to stop myself from “Wishing it away”. I love your blog, I have been OBSESSED since I found it last week I went to Ulta and bought brushes, powder, ordered the Bahama Mama Bronzer and the Illumnator by Smashbox and all sorts of stuff you recommend. Now I have to watch your HAC video and try it out, I am the WORST at makeup so I hope I can do ok!

February 19, 2013 at 6:26 am

I see your little guy has a Lenny the Lamb!! I’m a Scentsy consultant and he’s one of our best sellers!!

make money online