AskCara Beauty Basics Tips & Tricks

Hey, there.

We need to have a serious talk ….

about politics.

just kidding!

Let’s talk about something important that doesn’t turn people into crazy fire breathing dragons how ’bout…

like,

There is a fabulous trick to keep in mind whilst picking your rouge.

It is a transformer.

Let me demonstrate:

Your skin is going to soften whatever color you choose, so if you choose a color that you think looks perfect in the case it will be not be once it mixes with you.

Try picking a color that looks twice as vibrant/intense as the color you ultimately want exuding from your cheeks.

Not only does this give you a much better match in color, it will also save you lots of money in blush. You will only use about have as much (if that!)

Here are a few of my fav’s:

For a  light pink glow ~ Maybelline Bouncy Blush in Fresh Pink

for a rosy glow ~ Tarte Cheek Stain Flush

For a peachy finish ~ Maybelline Bouncy Blush in Candy Coral

have a lovely weekend!

34 Comments

jackie wegren
    November 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

Hello my darlin’ you are just the gal to help me, I love your makeup tips and have spread the word about your website as I work in the cosmetic industry!!! This weekend I was trying to do my Mom’s makeup (less is more was what I was going for)….she’s wrinkly, sorry Mum> Would you think about doing a post on eye makeup for seniors with droopy wrinkly eye lids….blush, foundation? My mom wears too much foundation, too much powder….and it all gets in her beautiful silver hair and on the neckline of any shirt, do you match the foundation with her the dark spots or the skin???!!! If she won’t listen to me, surely she’ll listen to you?!! Do you accept the challenge, I sure hope so??

liz @ btb
      November 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

Yes yes yes!!! My mom has the same problem. Plus she uses eye drops for glaucoma that turned her lash line a weird brown color… it’s the same stuff that they developed Latisse from. She never wears ANY makeup and I’d love to give her a mini fresh-faced makeover. Please help!

liz @ btb
        November 2, 2012 at 10:50 am

PS: I bought the bouncy blush in fresh pink on your recommendation and LOVE it!! Thank you for all the tutorials! You’re awesome!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

I LOVE That idea Jackie! Thank you so much, I agree with older skin less is more but there are a few tricks for making them look so pretty! Consider the challenge accepted!

Megan Shaheen
    November 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

I love you! I was all excited to hear about politics. You have influenced the blush I buy for sure!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

haha I like talking about blush so much more:)

Brandi
    November 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

You are adorable. That is all. 🙂

Brandi
    November 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Oh…and I want your Mario shirt!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

haha thanks Brandi, you are so sweet! It’s at Forever21 GET ONE! 🙂

Jessica
    November 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm

THANK YOU for turning me back on to drugstore makeup!!! I used to never buy it because of the simple fact that you can’t try it on at the store, like Sephora or Ulta, unless of course you try to be sneaky and stand in the corner to open it while no one is looking.. but even then, they don’t have mirrors or any remover, so you’re stuck with color swatches all over your hand. Not to mention five different color nails. Thanks to your recommendations I now have a great mixture of designer AND drugstore makeup.

I, too, have bought the bouncy bluch in fresh pink, and I just so happen to love it! Also love your trick of using the Revlon lip butter in cherry tart for a rosy cheek stain instead of Tarte!!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:02 am

haha thank you! That is TOTALLY why I do it, because there is good drug store stuff out there, it’s just finding it can be easily just as costly as buying the stuff you can try at sephora! Glad you are a sample thief too, I thought it was just me:)

Brooke
    November 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

You’ve got to try the ELF Studio blushes. They’re only $3! I just bought the bright pink shade after seeing another blogger rave about it. She was right, the pigmentation is just fantastic. I’m hooked! You can get it at Target, Ulta (but not online there) and Walgreens just started carrying it too (very limited selection in my local store though) or the ELF website.

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:00 am

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out!

kate
    November 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm

u look beautiful! love the pink lips! will be checking out bouncy blush now 🙂 what brush do u recommend using for application with thay blush?

Ashlee
    November 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Fine! Your posts have finally gotten to me. Ive known for a while now that I should take makeup more seriously but Ive been trying to avoid it. And Im afraid Im getting to old to do that anymore. So…. I may have a billion questions on every post. Apologizing ahead of time 🙂

Is there a specific brush I need to use to put on gel blushes or should I just use my fingers? Which is better?

PS- You are fabulous. Just so you know…. absolutely fabulous!

Amber
    November 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

You made me laugh today. Thank you!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am glad you get me:)

Mags
    November 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. Now I want to go buy blush.

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:54 am

Thank you Mags! You won’t regret it:P

Angela Whitbeck
    November 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My very favorite of all blushes for nearly every skin color are Mary Kay’s mineral cheek colors in citrus bloom and shy blush, and cream blush in sheer blush. All three colors can be used alone or conbined. The mineral cheek colors at $10/each and the the mineral cheek color is $10. All Mary Kay products are 100% money back compared by your consultant. If you need to be referred to a consultant in your area, please contact marykay.com or contact me at http://www.marykay.com/awhitbeck.

Julieanna
    November 3, 2012 at 2:26 am

I LOVE you tee!!! Where is it from??
    Also addicted to your blog, 🙂

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:53 am

Thank you! forever 21 baby, it was like 15 bucks!

Chelsea Johnson
    November 3, 2012 at 6:47 am

Love, love, love your blog!!

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:53 am

haha Thank you chelsea! I hope you still like it, I got crazy this weekend and redid EVERYTHING!

Brenda
    November 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

I tried the bouncy blush in fresh pink after seeing your tutorial and LOVE it.:) I want to try the fancy coral one too. I apply them with my fingers. I hope that’s a correct way to do it. It seems to work for me. Thanks for all your great make up tips and advice! <3

Brenda
      November 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oops i mean Candy Coral lol.

Cara
      November 4, 2012 at 1:52 am

so glad you like them! I think these make it easy to use your fingers because they are so blendable! unlike most other creamy blushes! Thank you so much!

Shannon
    November 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I want to know what lipcolor you have on! Super cute!

Cara
      November 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

Makeup Forever Fushia #27

Molly
    April 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Your necklaces! I love them!! Are they Sabika?

Suzanne
    August 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm

So I broke down and tried your advice in one of your blogs about the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush. I believe you recommendation was to “Go out and buy the most Barbie Pink shade you can find and then thank me later”… or something very close to that effect… Well, I am thanking you later! I went out and bought Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Pink Frosting (10) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It made such a huge difference. I would NEVER have dreamed about using anything that bright and even almost talked myself out of it putting it back about 3 different times before convincing myself to buy it. I am so glad I listened to your advice. Thanks! Now, if only I could conquer the rest of my face!

Boni
    February 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Thank you, Cara, for the Maybelline Dream Bouncy blush recommendation! I was at Walmart and they were sold out of the Fresh Pink color (totally your fault! :-)) so I bought the Orchid Hush color. A gorgeous pink that looks so pretty on my pale skin! Using my fingers works splendidly well for me when applying this blush. Very happy! 🙂 I want to try the Fresh Pink blush next. Quite lovely blush! I don’t know why I didn’t try it before! 🙂