AskCara Hair Products

Wenning!

Want my Wen update? I’ll give it to you.
4 months in and I am becoming more in love with it every day.

Other than the fact that (and this was a surprise to me ) I am actually saving money using Wen. If you add up the shampoo and conditioner and the Moroccainoil deep conditioner I was spending about $45 bucks a month, now I spend about $30. I tried the cheap version at Walgreens in hopes that it would be comparable and I was not impressed. I have not tried Hair One from Sally Beauty yet though, but I will ASAP and I will report!

My hair has never been better. I don’t think I have every loved a hair product more than I love Wen.
Chaz Dean is a genius and an innovator.

See for yourself:

These two images were taken before I began my Wen routine, then 3 1/2 months into it.

What’s to love:

My hair is softer, shinier and silkier than ever.
My color holds like crazy and stays more vibrant than ever.
Split ends and breakage are virtually a thing of the past..
Which has given my hair a chance to grow faster than it ever has!
One product to take on trips instead of three.
I don’t feel guilty about washing my hair too often, cause with Wen there is no such thing!

But…

It has to be used CORRECTLY! You can read the instructs from Chaz himself and you should but I want to stress a few of the most common mistakes I have seen (and done)

It doesn’t lather so you have to get your elbow grease in there.
Lather finds it’s way through your hair with ease, and virtually does the scrubbing for you, but the price you pay for this is damaged hair. So if you chose to use Wen you are taking on the challenge of doing your own scrubbing a equal distribution.

If you are feeling greasy or weighed down use more Wen, not less.
I know it feels like conditioner but you can’t treat it like conditioner. Get it in the grease with it and don’t be shy.

If you get a weird reaction, don’t ignore it, you could be allergic so chat with your doc and the good people at Wen before you continue using it!

Get some {here}

ย oh, and don’t get the fig kind. It’s just my opinion but I think it’s aroma is less than appealing.

135 Comments

Stephanie
    October 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love Wen! I’ve been a “Wen” girl for over a year now and have seen a major improvement in my hair. I use the Sweet Almond Mint and 6/13 Cleansing Conditioner (alternate days), the Sweet Almond Mint Rejuvinating Treatment, the Styling Creme, and for curly days, the Mousse. LoVe – LoVe – LoVe it…but as you say, have to use it correctly, for sure! It took me a few times to get it down, but now, I would never go back to the old lather ๐Ÿ™‚

Hannah Smith
    October 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

I have really oily hair on top, but dry on bottom/ends. Will Wen make me even more oily? I usually shampoo only my scalp, and only apply conditioner to my ends.

cj
      October 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

If used correctly and rinsed throughly it should not. You can always double wash too, sometimes that helps me. My scalp used to be oily, but is much better after using Wen. I think my scalp may have been too dry and producing more oil to compensate for this. I would try either tea tree or cucumber aloe in wen. You can also add more to your ends.

Marisa
      November 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hanna, You would need to use the Cucumber Aloe for your hair. It is specifically for your hair type. Oily scalp and dry hair. Use the WEN exactly as directed.

Hannah Smith
    October 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

Also, how did you style your hair in the picture?

October 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I will do a tutorial on this, it’s a really quick way I curl when I am out of time with a 1 1/4″ curling iron!

Andrea H.
    October 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’m a Wen devotee, too!! I sing its praises all the time. However, I have bleached blonde hair, and I use the Fig because it’s supposed to the best for dry and damaged hair. You’re right, the scent isn’t fantastic, but it does wonders to correct the damage, so I can live with it!

Marisa
      November 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Andrea, buy the Sweet Almond Mint Oil and use it with your cleanser and use it in your hair before you bleach. Chaz does not believe in bleach but when he does hi-lites, he uses the oil on the hair right before applying the color. You would also really benefit from doing treatments of a mixture of the Fig Cleanser with the SAM Oil.

Jenna free
    October 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

Your hair looks great ! But just a little more info, I have very thin fine hair that is very dry and I found it did nothing for my hair , made it quite flat and frizzy. I know it’s supposed to be for every hair type but I did not see the results like you did.

October 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

was it weight down and coated feeling or dry?

Courtney
    October 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thanks for the post. I tried wen years ago but quit using it b/c my hair felt heavy and oily. From what I’ve read on your post, I wasn’t using it correctly. I will give it another shot!
    I enjoy all your blog posts.
    And, I think you are one absolutely gorgeous, beautiful woman!
    Thanks again.

October 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thank you so much! I was using it wrong for a little while too and when I sat down and REALLY read the directions (which is tough for me:) I figured it was worth a try to do it right, once I did I became a true believer!

Liz Ford
    October 17, 2012 at 10:15 am

So wen is just a condintioner? So do you use it after you’ve already shampooed your hair with regular shampoo or do you just use the wen?
    Thanks a bunch! I also bought the Moroccan oil hair mask and I love it, I’ve noticed a difference and my sister always tells me to so I know it works!

Kimi
      October 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

No when isnt just a conditioner its both, so you just have to use the one bottle they send you! You just get rid of your old shampoos and conditioners, WEN also sends you their own hydrating hair mask that yous use once a week! Check out their fb page! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jessica
    October 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

Do you know if they are all created equal? Like no matter what the scent is it does the same thing for your hair? I’m allergic to almonds so I don’t want to use the sweet almond.

cj
      October 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm

No, but some are universal. QVC and the fb page should have a chart that can help based on your hair type and needs.

Kimi
    October 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

After I saw your hair post about WEN, I noticed the infomercial on tv and immediately went to the website and purchased WEN ๐Ÿ™‚ I love how it makes my hair feel so soft, but I have noticed you can’t go that long between washes with it. My hair is a little bit longer than yours and is the same color. How many pumps do you use( I know it says to use 12-15) I usually do about 10-12?? Also how often do you wash your hair now that you use WEN?
    Thanks for letting me know about this by the way! I LOVE it!! I also love that it is shipped to my house monthly ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Thanks!!
    xxoo Kimi

Lara
      October 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

i would love to know the answers to these questions too. i just ordered some ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm

OK I went through the same thing about a month into my use I noticed my hair getting greasy fat so in turn I started using a little less and a little less wen, because that seems natural. When that didn’t work I read the directions again and used the amount prescribed which is at least 15 for me. I also sectioned my hair to make sure I got it on my entire scalp and messaged it WELL then ran a brush through it to make sure it was well distributed. I was SHOCKED at how amazing my hair felt after using it correctly and my hair needs to be washed less often if anything, Honest.

Kimi
          October 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thank you for replying! One more question do you condition just once or do you put the wen on , rinse then repeat!? I can’t remember if the instructions say you have to do that or if it is just your own choice? Thanks so much! I will try switching to 15 pumps!

• Stephanie
            October 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm

If I’m in a hurry, I do it once. If I have time to spare, I do it twice. Run the full amount through your hair and immediately rinse. THEN, run half the amount through your hair, clip up, shave (etc) and then rinse. Don’t forget to put a half-pump back into the ends of your hair as a leave-in conditioner…it works wonders!

BTW, I only have to cleanse/condition 2-3 times a week. I save Sunday for the Deep Conditioning treatment!

• Marisa
            November 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Kimi, do not skimp on the pumps you use. My hair is down to my bra line and I use 20-30 pumps. I finally started buying the gallons (1-2 pumps) and have never bought the bottles again. You can get them at a great price on QVC. I would check with Chaz and the Wen facebook pages to find out when he’s there. And as far as going between washes, we would always see how many days we could go until we needed to cleanse again at the salon and 3-4 days was our max. Chaz too. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The great thing is that you can cleanse everyday with WEN and instead of drying your hair out, it will actually beneficial. ๐Ÿ™‚
            Oh and buy from Chaz directly @ chazdean.com

Katie
    October 17, 2012 at 11:10 am

Do you use any of the other wen products (styling / finishing cream)? What about other hair products in combination (heat treatment)? I just can’t imagine eliminating all my hair products…

October 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm

oh yeah! Don’t get me wrong I have only replaced my shower routine with Wen, I still you a variety of products from a bunch of different brands:) So I just don’t use any other shampoos or conditioners

Stephanie
      October 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I still use Moroccan oil, but as for everything else…in the trash! I use the Wen Styling Creme and the Mousse (for curly days) and LOVE them!!

Joyclyn Wise
    October 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

Is it just a conditioner? or do they make a shampoo too?

Joyclyn Wise
      October 17, 2012 at 11:29 am

Nevermind, just went to their website and figured it out! Thanks for the post looking forward to trying this product!

October 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm

You are welcome! you will love it! Let me know what you think:)

Melissa
    October 17, 2012 at 11:22 am

I have experimented with Wen for the past year and a half. At first I used it the way Chaz Dean recommended, but being frugle, I couldn’t convince myself it was worth all that money. Plus, it was always feeling oily and dirty, which I was not comfortable with. I find what works best for both of my personal “issues” is to wash my hair with shampoo, towel dry, then use Wen as a leave-in conditioner. My hair is very healthy and still feels clean. I have long curly hair and this product really defines my curl instead of being frizzy, and humidity actually improves the style! This summer I used the Mango Coconut scent (delicious and TONS of compliments about the smell of my hair!). I’m not using the Pumpkin Ginger fall scent, which is perfect for the season. It makes me want to eat pumpkin pie every time I put it in my hair! I love Wen!

October 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm

OOOHhhh I want the pumpkin ginger too! Good idea for lengthening you wallet but still getting the result you love:)

Callie
    October 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

Do you just use the cleansing conditioner part, or several of the products on a daily basis?

October 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I just use the cleansing conditioner.

Amanda
    October 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

I have dandruff and usually use a dandruff shampoo, How do you think this would effect my scalp? Also I’ve been doing the mommy makeup every day for work since you posted it and I love it! Thank you!

October 17, 2012 at 11:59 am

I bet you look like such a hot mama! ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it is AWESOME for your scalp since it doesn’t strip it of it’s natural oils that protect your scalp from getting dry and flakey!

Marisa
      November 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Amanda, if you have dandruff you should use the Tea Tree Cleanser along with the oil as a treatment.

Taylor Ramler
    October 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Okay, so just trying to get this straight… you don’t use the Morroccan Oil treatment anymore? Just this bottle of Wen Cleansing Conditioner every time you wash your hair?

October 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

correct haven’t bought Morroccan since I started using Wen!

Taylor
        October 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Perfect! Definitely a better deal doing it this way. I’m definitely convinced to do the switch! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!

Tonya Horlacher
    October 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hey Cara, Check out QVC.com, they have a better price than amazon. They have 2 16oz. bottles of wen for $40.00. I order it from QVC and have it on automated ordering. Just thought I would share that with you for saving money.

Shay
      October 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm

That’s a great deal! How much is shipping from qvc?

Kym
    October 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I have ben a WENner for over 5 years now. LOVE IT and would not be able to have long hair without it- My hair is dry/curly/fine/wavy/ blech without it. LOVE IT…and I am 50 years old…(A cool 50, K?) ๐Ÿ™‚

October 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm

haha 50 is the new 30! So glad you agree, it’s the best huh?

brooke
    October 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm

So Cara … How many pumps do you use ? Thanks! Brooke

October 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm

15ish give or take:)

Jessa
    October 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I just got my Wen in the Mail!! I bought I after I read your post on long hair. Like you I am a long hair addict, I have been trying to grow my hair out since I have a bad experience at a new salon. I asked for a trim and they cut my hair to my shoulders!! I was so mad, that has been 2 years ago. I now have hair to the bottom of my shoulder blades, but it is horribley dry and damaged. I read your post and had to give it a try!! I am at this very second letting my hair go all night with the intense conditioner, I will be posting my after pics on facebook in abour 90 days!! Thank you again for this blog, it has helped me learn so many things about being a girly girl.

October 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Ohh you much send me a link when you post them! I am excited to see! Thanks Jessa!

October 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm

must

Lara
    October 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I am dying to try this! so have you stopped using the moroccan oil protein treatments? and the occasional deep cleansing (like that abba detox shampoo)? and do you use anything else on your hair after you get out of the shower? my hair is 1 year post bleaching and i have finally matched my natural color.. so i am done killing it with color and bleach ๐Ÿ˜‰ i have been growing it out for 3 years now. I love all of your tutorials and hair care routines. they have all made a huge difference on my hair. Your locks would be my dream ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I am completely converted! I have turned to Wen and Wen only for my in shower hair needs! No more other shampoos or conditioners, although I think using a detox shampoo before beginning Wen might be a good idea, and again when and if your hair fills build upish ๐Ÿ™‚

October 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Thank you so much Lara!

Melissa
    October 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

So I have totally been debating on getting Wen for a while now. I JUST bought some shae moisture shampoo and conditioner (all natural) yesterday…wish i had seen this before then! I read online about curly hair and what’s best….I have 2B hair, and am doing one last clarifying shampoo this week before just doing “cowashing” with conditioner…..essentially similar to Wen. should I just have bought Wen? your hair looks AMAZING in that last picture.
    How often do you wash your hair with Wen? and do you ever do a clarifying treatment since using it? I currently wash my hair 2x a week, Sundays and Wednesdays…. and clarify once a month or so…sometimes after a month and a half….

Jess
    October 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I’ve been a WEN girl for over a year, I won’t ever go back! It’s seriously the best and I’ve converted so many of my friends into WEN girls. I love this post bc I know exactly what you mean about your hair being the best ever. I look forward to your review on Sally’s version, but I honestly can’t imagine anything comparing to WEN. Just cheap knockoffs in my opinion.

cj
    October 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wen is a great product for your hair if you give it a chance and use it correctly! I was told by numerous stylists that my long hair was damaged by color or flat ironing. So I took an 8 month break from both, even air drying my hair, with no change whatsoever. I started using the cucumber aloe since my roots were oily and ends were frizzy and dry. Within a month and a half my hair was so much better! I know use the 613, pumpkin spice and cucumber aloe. Yes, you do need to use the amount it says. I wet my hair, put the wen in roots to ends, add water, then scrub a little, and leave in for 5 to 10 min. Rinsing very well is a key too! Rinse twice as much as you normally do. I also repeat if I haven’t washed my hair in awhile. I can now go 3 to 4 days with a little dry shampoo if I chose too. I am convinced shampoo lather and harsh ingredients like sulfate dried my hair to the point of breaking and splitting. My mid lengths to ends no longer look like a birds nest, I rarely get my hair cut due to having very few split ends, and a lot less frizz. QVC does have the best deals, especially liters, for Wen and for those that want to try different scents. Watching Chaz on QVC he will explain which ones are for what hair types. Cucumber aloe works best for me, sweet almond mint is a universal, tea tree and cucumber aloe for oiler scalps or dry scalps, fig for coarse/dry hair is a short list. Sallys Beauty Supply does have Hair One which is similar and comes in a lot of different formulas plus liters! I prefer my Wen, but this is a great cost alternative with good results also! I’m glad I decided to try Wen instead of listening to several stylists who told me to “damage cut” my mid lengths and ends. This product may not work for everyone, but ended up being my “holy grail” to dealing with unmanageable hair.

October 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Thanks girl! So appreciate you Wen Wisdom! ๐Ÿ™‚

lilliec
    October 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm

L. O. V. E. Wen!! I’ve been a “Wen girl” since right after my wedding in 2010. It’s well worth the investment since it completely saved my hair. Now I only buy the gallon size from QVC which lasts about a year since I only wash once a week. Following the instructions is a must! Don’t get cocky and skimp on the scrubbing and rinsing….I did that once and woke up with a big ol greasy noggin. And I agree, the fig is way too sweet smelling. The sweet almond is the best.

georgia
    October 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’ve been really dubious of this stuff ever since seeing the infomercial – especially with the price tag. BUT you have never led me wrong in the past with all of your other (amazing and dead on) recommendations. Especially your comment about the color – my biggest hair concern! So do you put in any leave in conditioner or anything? xo g

georgia
      October 18, 2012 at 8:58 am

Also – do you use any of the other products besides the cleansing conditioner?

Michelle
    October 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hi there! Wondered if anyone could share how Wen works with someone who only washes their hair twice a week! I have such dry and thick hair that I would damage it with all the heat styling I do if I washed it more than that! Please share!

cj
      October 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

i normally only wash mine two or three times max a week. my hair is drier, but fine yet i have a lot of it. i find wen helps my hair retain moisture better. you may want to try wens replenishing mist or leave in creams to add some moisture if your hair feels too dry. the actual cleansing conditioner can be used as a leave in conditioner as well. hope this helps!

Becky
    October 18, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love WEN too! I have used it for two years now, I won’t go without it. QVC, I think, is the best place to buy it. You get a lot more for your money. I know once a year, maybe twice, they sell it in gallon sizes.

Grace Barr
    October 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

Do you recommend this over moroccan oil? I have hair similar to yours and I definitely want to try this now! Thanks!

Erin
    October 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve been using WEN since I first read about it on your blog. I absolutely LOVE it! I want to thank you for introducing me to this great product : )

Sara
    October 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I know you get a BAZZZZILLION questions – but I have been DYING to get my hair to curl and look gorgeous like yours for years. I have long, super dark fine hair but there is a lot of it and it’s in pretty good condition. It tangles very easily and is pretty straight naturally. I have a good curling iron (several different ones actually) that get super hot and I have tried about a million different products (styling creams, hairsprays, volumizers, etc) but my hair will not hold a curl for longer than like 30 minutes, it just looks kind of stringy and gross at this point and it gets kind of frizzy and tangly. When I first curl my hair it looks amazing though – just don’t know what to do to prolong this. Do you think wen will help with this problem? Mine should be arriving this afternoon so I’m excited to try it. If not, what do you recommend!? I trust EVERYTHING you say – so please help a sister out ๐Ÿ™‚

Beleigh
    October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Okay, definitely need to give this a go. Your hair looks AMAZING! I flat iron my hair almost every day and my ends look like garbage. I’ll have to find the nearest store and get this! ๐Ÿ™‚

Beleigh, Hearing Aids Colorado

Alicia M.
    October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

okay, so someone may have said this in the comments, but i am too lazy to read them all to see. ๐Ÿ™‚

something to consider if you are a new user (i don’t actually use Wen. i use a baking soda/apple cider vinegar rinse on my hair twice a week, but the concept is the same…no sulfates): when you have been stripping your hair for — well, basically your whole life — of its natural oils with sulfate shampoos, and then caking on conditioner to compensate for that stripping, your scalp no longer knows how to regulate its own oil production. many people may experience that their hair gets very greasy for up to 4 weeks (mine took 2) after cutting out the sulfates because the scalp is trying to regulate the oil production. if you can stick it out, your scalp will find its own happy balance, and your hair will begin to be shinier and less frizzy because of this. (and i actually got completely rid of my dandruff problem, too!) also…some people mentioned that their hair felt very heavy. that’s pretty normal, too. the oils in your hair are now properly dispersing through the entire strand, so your hair will feel denser.

lastly, be prepared for hair you didn’t know you had. when i first started my “no-poo” regimen, i had slightly wavy hair. now that i have allowed my scalp to produce its own oils, and i’m not stripping my hair/weighing my hair down with heavy conditioners to compensate for that, i actually have quite curly hair!

sorry for the novel. i’m just pretty passionate about this right now ๐Ÿ™‚ i love my hair for the first time in a long time. so stick it out! fight the urge to shampoo! and you will probably end up having hair you only dreamed you could have.

Michelle M.
      October 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Do you only use the baking soda and vinegar to cleanse? Can you post the recipe? I have super curly hair and baby fine too. It use to be thicker. What styling products do you use? Please oh please share your curly girl secrets. My curls are like Shirley Temple curls.

Alicia M.
        October 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Michelle,

I have fine hair, but TONS of it. My hair is about as long as Cara’s, maybe a little shorter. So…you may want to adjust the recipe if your hair is shorter or thinner. I use 1 cup of filtered water to 1 heaping tablespoon of baking soda. I just pour it into an old shampoo bottle, shake it up, and squirt it all over my hair. Work it into my scalp with fingers, and then rinse VERY well. I have found that if i leave any residue on my scalp, it gets itchy. I then follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse that is 1 cup of filtered water to 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. The ratio is pretty potent compared to some recipes, but I tend to have drier hair, and the ACV is very conditioning. I avoid the roots with the rinse, since it seems to make my roots feel heavier. Rinse that out.

Another tool I’ve discovered for curly girls is to NOT EVER use a towel on my hair. Because curly hair is more fragile, the rough fibers of towels can cause damage. I use a t-shirt and squeeze out the excess water. Then I apply my product to super wet hair. I’m still experimenting with product. Right now I use a very small bit of L’Oreal sulfate free EverSleek Leave In Conditioner, so that I can get my fingers through my hair to comb it. I don’t use any other tools like combs, etc. on my hair. Then I put in some Organix Moroccan Curl Cream, and use the t-shirt again to scrunch. Then I leave my hair the heck alone! LOL. I do my very best not to touch it while it dries.

It took a few weeks for my hair to “adjust”, but I am in love with my hair now, and get tons of compliments on it. Wen is probably great, and if we weren’t on a super tight budget right now, I’d probably give it a try. But since I’m literally spending pennies on shampoo every month and a few dollars on conditioner, I’m happy with the results.

Michelle
          October 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Alicia,
          Thanks for the info. My hair is down to the middle of my back. Just 2 more questions for you. If you are a member on nautuallycully.com, whats your screen name? Also, when you started air drying your hair with the steps and products you mentioned including shampoo..did you find that your hair was curlier on the bottom and not as much on top? If so how did you work with that?

• Michelle
            October 27, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Also, do you use hairspray?

Mylene
        October 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Look at naturallycurly.com…there is a ton of info on here about different types of hair, and I am sure you will learn more about your hair “type”! I learned a lot from the forums and finding other girls that share the same hair type as me. Enjoy!

Vanessa
    October 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm

You totally convinced me to try it again! I think I was using it wrong just because that many pumps seemed like “too much” but I suppose if I really read the directions it would make sense! ๐Ÿ™‚

Heather
    October 19, 2012 at 10:50 am

Hi Cara, I sooo love your blog, and all of your posts! And I follow you on Pinterest. Great stuff! You are so beautiful, and your hair is awesome!! I will be ordering Wen soon. My hair is dark and long like yours. I have curly hair that (used) to be great back in the day, but I dont wear it like that anymore. I now straighten it everytime! I have to blowdry it straight and then either flat iron or curl. Any suggestions on that would be great! Product, or whatever! My question though is your cut. Do you have layers or long layers? And is it all over? Thanks so much! ; )

ashley
    October 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Do you use the whole line or just the cleanser?

October 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Just the cleanser at this point, I am still a total cheap skate at heart and I can’t brong myself to get addicted to anything but the cleansing conditioner! ๐Ÿ™‚

ashley
        October 20, 2012 at 7:58 am

Me too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think you’ve convinced me.

Sarah C.
    October 19, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Hello! I am a new follower of your blog, and I love your makeup routines! I have been wanting to try wen, but I don’t have a lot of money to spend. I usually don’t even get salon shampoo and conditioner. Does a bottle of wen really last you a whole month?

–Sarah C.

October 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Thank you! Trust me you won’t regret it! It really does last and I have tonz of hair, I only wash about about 3 times a week though!

Sarah C.
        October 20, 2012 at 11:36 am

I am so tempted! Especially if I can actually save money. My hair is gets super greasy though. I can usually go only 1 day without washing and even then I have to use a ton of dry shampoo. Do you think I would eventually be able to get away with only washing 3 times a week?

Casy
      October 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

Try the Sally’s version! My hair is fine/oily and the aloe and cucumber “Hair One” from Sally’s works awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚ $10.00 a bottle.

Michelle M.
    October 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I use Wen as well. It use to not make me shed so much in the shower but now it does. I tried using their directions and even combed it thru but lost even more hair. I already have baby fine super naturally curly hair. Any thoughts? Do you comb your through? How many pumps are you typically using?

Jen
    October 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hey Cara!! Love all of your tips, i get so excieted when there us a new post in here. Thank you for being so awesome!!!

I am interested in trying Wen. I already use sulfate free shampoos and all natural conditioners, but i my hair just seems dry and oily at the same time. Which Wen do you think would be good for super thin hair that has a slight wavy to it (mine was falling out due to thyroid issues), it is also very flat, oily scalp with dry ends?

Autumn
    October 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m glad you tried this out! I bought Wen about a year ago and and gave up after abouy 2 washes because I felt like m hair my wasn’t getting clean. I gave it to my sister and she loves it. Just never understood what the fuss was about. I’m gonna try it again for longer, your hair looks gorgeous.

Rachel
    October 22, 2012 at 10:31 am

After reading your blog and seeing your before and after photos, I ordered Wen! I’m very excited to try the product! However, I did some research today and found several people who had experienced hair loss when using Wen!! I was wondering if anyone had personally experienced hair loss when using this product? Obviously, you didn’t suffer this “side effect”. Just wanted to see if others had any negative experiences . . .

Tiffany
      October 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

I seen those types of reviews as well… however for me personally, with my sulfate free shampoos and conditioners I use now, I already noticed I ‘shed’ a lot more than usual. I don’t feel like I’m losing hair or have any weird bald spots, but with sulfate free, I’ve def notice more hair in my brush and I have to clean it out more often. I’m assuming it’s just a common thing with sulfate free shampoos and conditioners? maybe? no?

Heather
    October 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi Cara, I sooo love your blog, and all of your posts! And I follow you on Pinterest. Great stuff! You are beautiful, and your hair is awesome!! I will be ordering Wen soon. My hair is dark and long like yours. I have curly hair that (used) to be great back in the day, but I dont wear it like that anymore. I now straighten it everytime! I have to blowdry it straight and then either flat iron or curl. Any suggestions on that would be great! Product, or whatever! My question though is your cut. Do you have layers or long layers? And is it all over? Thanks so much! ; )

Bree
    October 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

So, I used to have long beautiful hair just like yours. Then a year ago, a week before Christmas, my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. So a few of us gals decided to shave our heads along with her during her treatment. I was buzzed at Christmas, now almost a year later, It’s becoming a shortish bob. YAY! I have looked up EVERYTHING to get your hair to grow faster. Losing your hair (even by choice and for a good cause) is very traumatic. My friend is recovering and doing well, but we’re all trying to get our luscious locks back. Does WEN help to grow your hair faster? Or is there something else you have used that can help with this. I take very good care of my hair, but just want to speed up the process. So I’m curious if this product could help me. Thanks for any input you might have!
    Bree

October 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Bree, wow what an amazing friend you are! That is incredible! I bet you have some cute photos of a bunch on cute buzzed girls! Wen definitely helps with hair growth but here is a link to my whole post all about loooong hair:) Good luck growing! http://www.maskcara.com/2012/08/confessions-of-a-long-hair-addict/

Bree
        October 25, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It was an easy and hard decision at the same time. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have to keep telling myself, It’s just hair! I’m lucky my friend is still alive, so I really shouldn’t complain. I just want to get it back fast and healthy. I’ll check out the link right now. And thanks again!

Cassie E
    October 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

So how long does a bottle last?? My hair is about 3 inches above my elbow but thin ever since having my daughter a year ago. I also am multi racial so sadly I have very curly hair and am addicted to my flat iron (I would love to go natural but my curls have a mind of their own!!). I only use a tshirt to dry my hair and just squeeze in hopes frizziness will keep away- wishful thinking!! I’m willing to pay the price if it lasts!! I only wash my hair every 3-4 days depending on how oily my roots which I am still trying to convince my husband is normal!! Also have you ever tried tea tree oil to help remove build up? I want to use it but know it is very strong, I used it on a piercing to help ease a keloid and man did it burn but fixed the problem!! Hopefully by new years I can get my hair to grow those 3 inches I am dying to have!!

October 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

If you only wash your hair every 3 or 4 days it will last you a month in half I bet. I have tried Tea Tree oil and I felt it was a little too harsh for my hair… but I have used it on skin and love it! I hope you can reach your New Years goal! Good Luck! THanks Cassie

Casy
    October 28, 2012 at 8:22 am

Because of all I’d read (and your post) I tried the Sally version “Hair One.” I’m cheap, and I didn’t want to shell out the money for Wen without knowing if I’d like it. At $10.00 a bottle, I figured if I didn’t like it, no big loss. Oh! And they had a couple of little sample packs in there, too, but they were in a different formulation than what I wanted to try. After reading loads of reviews, I settled on cucumber aloe for my fine, oily hair. I LOVE this stuff! For the first time ever, I have body and volume in my hair with absolutely no product. The reviews on the Sally’s site were overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of those that sounded as if they hadn’t used the product properly. For example, “I didn’t need to use that much, but my hair turned out oily.” I am a convert.

Marisa
      November 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm

There really isn’t anything out there that compares to WEN. All you need to do is read the ingredients on the back of the bottle to understand this.

Sarah
    October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

After reading your review I ordered and tried WEN but my hair is falling out in the shower WAY more than normal! Did you experience this? I’ve used it twice because I thought the first time might be a fluke.

misty
      November 7, 2012 at 4:06 am

I feel as though I am loosing a lot my hair in the shower as well. I can’t figure out if it’s because I never combed my hair in the shower before or if it’s just falling out?

Maddy
        October 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I have been using wen for the past few months and noticed this also. I can feel the hair strands running down my back with the water… It’s bizarre!

las artes
    October 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Your hair is so amazing! Your my hair crush now. I use my tresemme natural conditioner after I wash my hair rinse that out and use my Shea Moisture leave in CES or RSB one and seal it in with olive oil or Mimosa hair honey and use my Curls goddess gel results are fantastic I be dancing saying good hair day! One day I did not use my tresemme naturals my hair was okay but did not last as long as it would. I decided to use Garnier Triple Nutrition instead, disliked the results.

Jessica Jones
    November 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Cara do you just use the one product of wen or the package? Also is it just one product you use not an additional conditioner with it? My hair is super dry and I’m dying to get it back to health!

Nicole Ellingson
    November 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I am a cheapskate and have been using the Loreal conditioning cleanser from target. $5 for 12 oz and I love it on my oily hair. Suave keratin dry shampoo is what I use inbetween washes. My hair has never been softer! ๐Ÿ™‚

Marisa
    November 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hi Cara! I used to be Chaz’s personal assistant for 4 years and am a HUGE WEN advocate. I must say that the product you buy directly from Chaz is the best bet. Make sure to buy it from chazdean.com or from QVC if you want a great deal. Amazon is another way to buy directly from him. If you buy the gallon, you are basically getting 2-16oz bottles in there for free. Another great tip that we did at the salon all the time is to mix the conditioner with the oils for an amazing treatment. I used to fill my hair up with it and get in the steam room. My hair grew so much and so fast that I had to keep cutting it. Of course, I can’t speak for everyone when I say this, everyone’s hair is different.

Shelly Moore
    November 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Okay so, I read this blog when it was first created and i always had Wen in the back of my head (especially since I’m TRYING to grow my hair out) … while wondering around walmart about a month ago i found L’Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner… i do like this product however, I recently took the dive and invested in some Wen… I like the Wen better BUT the L’Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner is a great in-between alternative.

Linda
    November 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I have been using WEN since your long hair blog and I’m loving it. When I ran out I went back to regular shampoo and I hated it. It made my hair feel tangled. So I went back to WEN and I’m glad I did.

Michelle
    November 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Does anyone know how well Wen works on fine/thin hair? I have used many volumizing products that make my hair either have static or others that weigh my hair down. Are there any Wen users out there that can give their opinion if this is the right product for our hair type??

Casy
      November 25, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Yep. I have super fine/thin hair and my hair has more body and volume than it ever has. Of course, I’m cheap, so I use the Sally’s version of Wen “Hair One” in the cucumber/Aloe formula. I can actually go without product if I want, ans it still looks graet. Love this stuff.

Casy
        November 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Ah! Fat fingers! Please excuse the typos. *and *great

Carey
      February 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Try the Lavender formula for Wen. I have fine/thin hair as well, but it tangles very easily. Wen is the only product I can use that allows me to get a comb through it. For extra volume, add about a tablespoon of baking soda once you’ve pumped Wen into your hand; work through concentrating on your scalp. Leave in as the Wen instructions recommend, then rinse.

amie
    December 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

Oh. My. Gosh. The before & after is crazy! I’m so excited to try this & I love that I found these tips before buying it. Wen will be my next shampoo purchase!

Jen
    January 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Cara, I’ve been using the Sally Beauty’s Hair One. Have you tested this out yet? If so, how did it stack up against Wen? Thank you!

Carey
      February 1, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I have very fine hair, but a lot of it. I have tried both Wen and Hair One and prefer Wen because it de-tangles much better. It’s the only shampoo and conditioner I can use and be able to get a comb through my hair. Hope this helps.

Carey
    February 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm

For anyone with oilier hair like me, if you’ve tried Wen and you don’t feel it cleaned well enough or you’re afraid it won’t, I suggest taking 1/2 the recommended pumps and work it through the ends of your hair to the top of your head. Then, tip your head upside down, and with the other 1/2 of the recommended pumps, massage it into your scalp (i.e. if your recommended pump is 20, apply 10 pumps to your hair while you’re upright & 10 pumps to your scalp with your head tipped upside down). Add a little water to create a slight foaming effect, then comb through. Twist hair into a bun and clamp. Tip your head back to normal and continue with your normal shower routine. Rinse your hair thoroughly at the end of your shower (I usually use my fingers to massage my scalp while rinsing). I’ve found this to be the best way to get a thorough clean with Wen!

Erma
    May 13, 2013 at 10:16 am

Okay, at the risk of “Wen blasphemy”, I have recently found a comparable product that is WAY less expensive! I am a mixed-race woman with natural curly hair, which I’ve been blow-drying straight and flat ironing for the past 13 years. A few weeks ago, I decided to go natural again because my hair was thinning and damaged. I wasn’t happy with the results of shampooing on my curly hair…absolutely no softness, bounce, or curl in my hair. After researching how to care for natural curly hair, I concluded the best route was to stop shampooing and just try co-cleansing (conditioner-cleanse). I tried the Pantene Co-Cleanser, which was o.k. but then I found a Cleansing Conditioner by Lisa Rachel at my local Ross store for less than $6.00 bucks and decided to try it. I bought the Lisa Rachel formula for color treated hair. I also checked out some reviews on Amazon about this line of cleanser-conditioners. This product is Ah-May-Zing! From what I’ve read/heard about Wen system, the instructions are virtually the same; several pumps of product, massage into hair, rinse, re-apply more product, let sit in hair about 3-5 minutes, rinse, apply a bit more as a leave-in. My hair is soft, color stays vibrant, curls are responding, no frizz, hair stays fresh and clean for days! I also use it on my hair when it’s dry as a hair-dressing. Love it! I will never shampoo again! Personally, I don’t want to spend the $30/month price tag for Wen, so this is a great alternative for anyone else on a budget. It’s also available on Amazon for about $10.00. SO WORTH IT!!

Erin
    May 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm

be careful, my hair started to fall out after using it for a month or more…

amanda Norris
    May 22, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I was wondering if any of the WEN lovers experienced hair loss in the beginning? I love the way my hair looks and feels but I have noticed large amounts of shedding in the shower. I’m not sure if this is dead hair or if WEN is causing my hair to fall out. I am using the Fig. Thanks!

Maddy
      October 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I’ve definitely experienced hair loss… And I have fine hair to begin with, so I don’t want to lose more than I have too! I’ve cut back on the wen and bought Garnier Fall Fight (wishful thinking that it can help?).

Meredith
    July 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m wondering if you are still Wenning? If not, why did you stop and what are you using now? I just tried it and said I would commit to a month to see if there are any drastic differences to my hair. Thanks so much!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mollie
    August 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Cara,
    I know you LOVE Wen, but I was curious if you ever got around to trying the Hair One at Sally’s or the Salon Grafix type available at Walgreens/Walmart. I know you mentioned that you might try them in this post, but I don’t think I ever saw a follow up.

I’ve heard amazing things about Wen, but when your budget is tight, I was wondering how these cheaper alternatives played out. Any info would be great!

Jennynny
    August 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm

omg haha i have tried all of the wen scents except the seasonal ones (really want to try the pumpkin!) and fig is the only one i hated. its just awful I remember thinking i was going to become physically sick in the shower haha. Lavender and Tea Tree are my favorites they smell amazing but the others are great too. I definitely recommend this product, I wish they would sell it at ulta.

Karin
    August 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

After all the Wen-Hype on your Blog I gave it a try. It can be ordered in Austria pretty easy, after two days I had it at home. First impression: WOW. I had really bad hair after being blond for a long time, then going red a year ago and now going dark with blonde highlights. Well, even the hairdresser was shocked about the look of the terrible dry highlights. So Wen was my last solution and after the first use I can say: it definitely worked! I wonder if it will continue this way….

Jean Has Been Shopping
    September 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thank you for linking the WEN hair product to Sephora. I always thought I had to order through Wen, and that they automatically sent more w/automatic billing like ProActive. I’m anxious to try Wen, and hope my results are phenomenal.

Megan
    October 28, 2013 at 4:55 am

So, are you still using WEN and is it still doing great things for your hair???

Diva
    November 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

OMG, I LOVE WEN!!! I’ve been using it for a few months,and it’s fantastic. I bought the HUGE gallon size bottle on QVC (they only offer it once a year) and it’s well worth the price. My hair dresser even told me my hair is getting thicker and longer. My hair is a complete freak show most of the time, and I have to blow dry and flat iron it, and with the Wen it never feels dried out and brittle

KimPDX
    December 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I have glue in extensions and use shampoo&conditioner daily (I know!) but I saw you mention you wouldn’t use Wen w/ your extensions bc of conditioner, is it just the strength of Wen itself of conditioner in general? With my current abuse of my hair they stay in for 2-3 months, so it’s fine.

AMII
    December 11, 2013 at 8:05 am

Has anyone used Wen on hair that had the the keratin smoothing treatment? My stylist suggested I use the Keratin Complex shampoo/conditioner to maintain the smoothing treatment because they don’t contain sulfates. I was just wondering if Wen would compare.

alice turner
    December 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone uses the other Wen products for styling,etc. If not, what do you recommend? Cara, what do you use?
    Alice

carla
    January 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I have a question, I have been using Wen Sweet almond mint for 2 to 3 weeks now. When I wash my hair that day my hair looks shiny, healthy and is very soft. The next day I absolutely cannot go without washing it because my hair is so greasy and weighed down. I thought the point was to eventually be able to wash your hair less? It’s kind of frustrating. I am following your/ instructions that came with the bottle and am using plenty of it. Any thoughts?

kitt330t
    January 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hmmm… I love your blog but I must say this here: I bought Wen inspired by you. Long story short, it made my hair fall out and I have a small bald patch in my hairline where I used to have babyhairs. And yes, it is from the product, 100%.This is not your fault of course and great that it works for you and many others. However, no hair product should make your hair fall out. Just wanted to leave this here so that people can make (more) informed decision. In case you do not believe, just google it.

Darci
    January 29, 2014 at 7:12 am

Are you still using it??!

Ashley
    February 5, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I’ve been using Wen since this summer and I too love it. I color my hair and its pretty naturally curly so it gets dry and frizzy. (Living in Houston humidity doesn’t help). This stuff have transformed my hair!

AJ
    March 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Hello everyone and Cara… I just ordered Wen and was looking up reviews online and I found thousands of absolute horror stories about never being able to cancel the preautharized credit card payments, being overcharged etc. I ordered it right from his website and am now super paranoid. Has anyone been through anything similar? Please help me ๐Ÿ™

K.D.
    March 20, 2014 at 7:09 am

Once upon a time I was a Wen devotee…it was my crack!!! Sadly, I was one of the people who could never quite clear it from my follicles, despite following every direction exactly as shown. The net of it is that I loss 40% of my hair and had an actual bald spot. That was 2 years ago. It has not grown back. I still dream of my beautiful glossy Wen hair

Victoria
    May 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Cara!!!
    I was wondering if you have tried any cheaper brands that might compare, maybe the biotera 5 in 1 at sallys? Or the One hair at sallys?

Bostonmama
    June 6, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’m so paranoid to try Wen because of all the reports of hair loss that people are experiencing. Sounds like amazing results for some and horrid irreversible damage for others. ๐Ÿ™

Bridget
    June 15, 2014 at 6:32 am

I have been using the DermOrganic conditioning shampoo for a while now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. reviews at Makeupalley led me to it. For at least two years I had been co-poo-ing alternated with co-poo-co. Then I decided to go 3 levels lighter with my color. Maintaining blonde is soooooo hard on your hair. The DermOrganic has converted me to 100% conditioning cleanser, though I do clarify with a lathering shampoo or purple toning shampoo once in a while. My hair has transformed. And like someone else said, I was surprised at how much natural wave texture I really had!! DermOrganic can often be found at TJMaxx or Marshall’s.

Lauren Houston
    July 29, 2014 at 8:24 am

I have just started the road to healthier hair. Just wanted to throw out there…(cause I’m a young mom on a tight budget) that Renpure Solutions makes a pretty good, inexpensive alternative to Wen. I read a lot of reviews before buying, and the only real difference is you may have to use more per wash than with Wen. I used it for the first time today, and already notice a huge difference!!

Sarah Hayes
    October 9, 2014 at 6:35 am

Thank you so much for your post! I have been wanting to try Wen for years, but was always hesitant. After reading your review I decided to just go for it, and I couldn’t be happier! It has only been a little over a month, but my hair has never felt better. It is shiny, soft, and I feel like the breakage has stopped from my years of dying my hair ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2015 at 5:31 pm