Outfits

clad in mom clothing…

It’s a big transition.

Before mommyhood I lived in heels.

I wore them to all of the obvious places (church, dates & weddings) and all of the not so obvious places. (sporting events, backyard BBQ’s & shopping yes, even shopping)
This did not go with out ridicule.
Once I even had a 10 year old kid yell down from the bleachers “Nice heels, it’s a baseball game!!”.  Which was embarrassing and brought me back to getting kicked in the shins by Clint (my secret crush) in 5th grade..and yet didn’t even come close to inspiring a change of footwear.
I look good in heels.
My bum looks nicer, legs look nicer, I look skinnier and I am taller than everyone.
Now tell me, how can flats compete with that?

It wasn’t until I had to carry around a baby carrier that I figured out the answer.
I looked just plain silly trying to carry that and the gigantic diaper bag as it is, no need to add to the circus act with stilettos.

It has taken some time to adjust to my new wardrobe and there have been wasted expenditures. but I have come to terms with some of the things I won’t ever wear even if they dazzle me in the store. So I decided to share a couple of my favorite go-to’s for those days when me heart is telling me to stay in my PJ’s but my head is telling me to get the heck out of them…

Outift #1:
Oh hi, I feel extremely comfortable posing for an outfit, can you tell?

Key Ingredients:
Go ahead and call these pajama jeans, they are that comfy.{Jolt Stretch Skinny Jeans}
Flats, of course. {here}
Flowy shirt. It’s light weight, loose fitting (I don’t know about you but the days that I want to spend battling with my tight shirt to cover my muffin top are few and far between) and looks so grown up and put together. {here}

Outfit #2:

Key Ingredients:
Holy favorite hoodie in skirt form.{here}
Graphic T just so everyone knows you don’t care. {similar here}
Necklace to say, Ok I care… a little.  {here}

22 Comments

Stacia
    October 11, 2012 at 5:05 am

Love both looks!
    I’ve given up on my 5″ heels, {oh..how I miss them so and YES……Love the way I look in them, just not walking in them} and am finding other cool looks and shoes to try in my everyday wardrobe.

Have a fab day, Pretty Mama!

mmm
    October 11, 2012 at 5:25 am

Thank you for being realistic about what we mommies should and shouldn’t wear! (And also being realistic about how much we should pay for it.) It’s such a tough challenge trying to find that medium between still looking cute without looking like you’re trying to be (as you put it) Stacy’s mom! Sometimes it feels like it’s just too much work to even think about. So glad I found your blog!

jamie@[kreyv]
    October 11, 2012 at 7:29 am

LOL! Sounds VERY familiar. My problem is that my heels keep getting higher and higher, and then I feel shorter and shorter in flats. I have started to wear flats sometimes (like to the park where my heels would get stuck in the grass), but I usually wear heels (and get unwanted attention from it), even toting around my two year old! I have surrendered to the fact that I cannot wear heels everywhere, but I definitely still prefer them, so I still wear them grocery shopping, to story time, and whenever else I can!

Angelica Marquis
      October 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

So good to know you faced the wardrobe challenge too! It threw me for a loop . . .I realized I still dressed like a 20-ish college student and had no idea how to do the “casual, cool mom” style. I still drool over heels and buy them “in case” I’ll ever need them, but I’m embracing a new season as a mom and having fun replacing my wardrobe. Thanks for the ideas, I need all the help I can get!

Celeste
    October 11, 2012 at 8:08 am

ummm yeah, I’m gonna need that link for those pajama jeans. You look darling in both of these looks.

Cassie Ilten
    October 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

I adore a maxi skirt because I do feel like I’m wearing jammies. You look beautiful as always.

Elyse
    October 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Dude, maxi skirts and leopard flats are like my go to outfit. I miss my heels though…and sometimes I still where them to go to target while carrying around my baby….I feel like a show stopper, but I think people just like to watch me look like a circus act haha

kate
    October 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

Apparently I’m dressing like a mommy already… I wish I wore heels more often! I don’t know how you feel about Tom’s, but their wedges are ultra comfortable and the look will grow on you if you’re not into it now 🙂 And I’m super pumped about my “pajama jeans” coming to my doorstep soon!

Brenda
    October 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love both outfits and would wear them!:) I have leopard flats too. I need to wear them more. Since living in Cali i live in flip flops lol.

Kacie's Kloset
    October 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

I wear heels all the time! I have ever since high school. I don’t know what I’ll do when I have kids because heels are the most comfortable for me. I was born with messed up feet and can’t last in flats for more than 10 minutes. I even have dr. permission to wear heels! Love your outfits 🙂

Angelica Marquis
    October 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Oh and thanks for posting looks that us girls with boobs can wear! Most blogs are full of cute stuff that make me look frumpy because of my maracas 😉 (still not over the breastfeeding stage)

Courtney F
    October 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Love posts like these!! Great job!

Jennifer
    October 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Here’s the problem Cara. When you post things that are cute, I buy them. Sometimes I even tour around on the website and buy more stuff on top of that. This is a real problem because you post many a cute things. Help Me.

Caitlin
    October 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

Cara,
    I love your blog!! Your makeup tutorials are awesome! And I absolutely love your style. I want to get some of those nordstrom skinnies, but I’m wondering how tall you are? pants never seem to be long enough on my legs. I’m 5’8, not that tall, but pants are always short!

Cara
      October 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thank you so much! I am 5’7″ and these are plenty long for me!

alex
    October 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm

i wanted to ask u a question??
    am 8 months pregnant ,i used to be stick skinny only weight 118 then i went up to 153 my clothes dont fit at all and maternity clothes are to big for me!!!! did i mention this is my first pregnancy am having a girl:)
    my question is do u have any advise on pregnancy clothes???
    my regular clothes dont fit anymore, and i only wear sweats and baggy shirts,, i dont fell that pregnancy glow,i dont feel beautiful at all.
    ive tried so many things and nothing works:(
    I LIVE IN TEXAS BY THE WAY!!!
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG so helpful..and fun ,THANKS

Jenna DeSantis
    October 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

I LOVE your Britney shirt!!! <3 Especially with the maxi, cute outfit!!! 🙂

Gena T
    October 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Funny “Heel Story” II’d like to share…
    A couple of weeks ago I planned this romantic weekend get away for our 10th Anniversary.
    I bought a sassy little gold sequin mini & a sheer black button shirt ( lacy tank under). I threw in a pair of heels that I haven’t worn in over a year (new baby + quit corporate job = no need).
    The last thing for me to grab out of my overnight duffle was my heels… I mean heel! I had a hot outfit on and the only other pair of shoes I had were my fuscia Tory Birch pumps… uggh!
    I love my T.B’s but this was a definite “slut it up” occasion and the T.B. flats were not bringing it!
    Ended up being a fantastic evening even without my heels:(

Amanda
    October 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Could someone re-post the link for the skinnies? It didn’t work for me. Or just let me know the brand and style and I can try to find them somewhere in Vancouver, BC.
    Thanks!
    Amanda

Aubrey
    December 5, 2012 at 8:08 am

Browsing back through your older posts…Love all of them! This one is great! It is so important not to let yourself just go to pot. HOw can you be a good mom if you feel awful about yourself? (especially if you have 4 little girls looking to you as a role model, like I do!)
    And I just want to say that while they are really little and you are carrying them around all the time and they are smearing you with applesauce and peanut butter and every possible bodily fluid, you definitely have to go simple and washable and easy to wear. But, as they start getting older you can add those heels back in sometimes. And you can add back in a little more glam than you used to have…
    My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 1 and while I am still carting her around a lot, the older ones help alot too, and I have begun to put back on those stilletos and dress up a little more for certain occasions. Every phase of life has it’s own needs and wardrobe.
    And I love this blog to help me find my glam again too! I love makeup and girly things and its fun to find that side of me again now that I am coming out of the baby-induced fog I have been in! Thanks!!

Cara
      December 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

Thanks so much Aubrey! You are so right and you have given me hope for my heels! I bet you are a fantastic mom. 4 little girls! How fun!