Beauty Basics Hair Tutorials

Wedding Hair / Twirl Curls

First things first. I have a big guilty angel sitting on my shoulder nagging the crap outta me about my recent neglect to comments, questions, emails…I have been a bit busy…and i’ll tell you now, it’s not going to get better for another week! I promise you I will get back to all of you as soon as I am home from the honeymoon! I LOVE your sweet comments and always wish I had more time to reply to everything, I do my best to get all the questions but while I am away be sure to read the comment thread, I often get asked the same Q’s more than once so you might find the answer there. I will still be posting though because I got a few posts in the oven this week just waitin for ya:)

Anyway, Hair.
Nick requested I wear my hair in twirl curls for the wedding so of course I will oblige. The thing is I have already posted a vid on them but I noticed a bunch of you never saw it: I understand completely, watching a whole video is a time commitment! Plus if you are sneaking the internet in the library or at work you can’t be busting yourself with youtube. Everyone must know about this technique, though, it has literally changed my life. I was never able to get a curl that wears like this before. I figured since this style is so simple and yet SO AMAZING it would be worth a little film strip. The likes of which have taught me how to do fishtail braids on Pinterest. So here you go:

1. 1″ curling Iron (I use hot tools {here} but anything that gets to 400° will do)
2.  Curl hair in 1″ sections
3. Wrap hair around from root to ends curling away from your face
4. Cup the hair as you release it from the iron
5. While its still hot gently twirl the curl into a dread lock
6. Make sure to handle the dread locks delicately so they keep their form til your hair is cool.
7. Shake it out
8. Fluff it up, spray if necessary. ( I don’t use hairspray with the twirl curls because they hold really well and I like for my hair to be soft and silky but it’s totally your preference.)

If you’re still confused go to my video tutorial {here}

Next time I see you guys I am going to be a MARRIED WOMAN!
Wish me luck:)

Cassie Ilten
    September 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Yay! Have a fantastic day!!!!

September 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Congrats again! I am totally trying this out this weekend!

September 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm

You look so beautiful !!! Good luck on your wedding day! I know you will look like a dream 🙂 much love!

September 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

congratulations! enjoy your big day! & take a couple pics for us : ) cant wait to see which makeup look you decided on

September 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

i wish i had your hair!! good luck this weekend and enjoy your honeymoon =}

September 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh im so happy for you guys!! I hope you have the best wedding day and honeymoon ever! 🙂

September 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Love this!! You’ll look so beautiful as always. Congrats to you guys.

September 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I have LOVED doing my hair this way, so big THANK YOU for posting your video. You will look gorgeous for your wedding. Congratulations and have a great great day (and honeymoon)!!!!

September 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Good luck Cara, I know you’re gonna look gorgeous! Much happiness to you and Nick! xoxo -MsBeachgirls/Brenda

Kelly L
    September 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Funny that you post this because I literally just watched your twirl curl video the other night for the first time and am wearing twirl curls today!! 🙂 I haven’t perfected it yet, but agree that it works great!
    I have even done a similar process without a curling iron on wet/damp hair. If you twist sections of your hair when wet or damp, let dry completely, then shake out, you get a similar curl look.
    Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon!!

September 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Congrats on your WEDDING 🙂 make sure to instagram pics for us of how fab you look 😉 Also have fun on your Honeymoon, where are you going??

September 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Love it u look beautiful ☺

Andi Sutton
    September 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

You will be the MOST gorgeous bride! Best of luck!!!

September 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I love the loose curly hair! I can’t wait for my hair to be long again so I can try this.

September 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Have a lovely day!!Yay for love <3

September 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm

You are going to look so amazing for your wedding!! Congratulations to you and Nick and hope you have the best time EVER!!!

September 22, 2012 at 12:36 am

Congrats!! Have fun on you honeymoon! I can’t wait to see a post of the wedding pics.

Jill ayers
    September 22, 2012 at 6:19 am

Have a beautiful day!

September 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I just have to say that your hair/makeup tutorials are the absolute best I’ve found online and believe me, I think I’ve seen them all….I’m a pinterest addict and thankfully that brought me to your site! I love love love it! I don’t want to be dramatic but it literally changed my life….I can finally get my hair to look the way I want…. You rock! You’re beautiful and obviously very generous for sharing your beauty secrets!

Thanks…really, a huge thanks!

September 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Congratulations! I love your blog. You have amazing talent. I wanted to know if you could do a video/tutorial on how to use mineral makeup. I use the brand Jane Iredale and am careful about chosing makeup that has a lot of chemicals and parabens. If you could let me know your favourite in a nude lipliner and black eyeliner that is not so laden with chemicals that would be very helpful. Also i tried the rimmel bronzer you recommended and it’s much too orange on me. Is there another bronzer that would work for me. Thanks!

Jill ayers
    September 23, 2012 at 1:04 am

Can’t wait to see pics!

September 24, 2012 at 4:20 am

Cara, the best of wishes for you and your hubby. I hope your honeymoon is magical and I can’t wait to see your next post and wedding pictures. Love, Candy

September 25, 2012 at 2:00 am

I tried this out and it really works! I didn’t need hair spray, and I have fine hair and always need it!

September 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I have always curled my hair in a similar way, but the tricks totally worked and made such a difference! Thanks so much for sharing.
    ps I think you are absolutely gorgeous and love your make up! Some day I’ll learn how! Thanks again for teaching me!!

September 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

My hair NEVER holds a curl but i tried this and shut. up. Such pretty curls all day (i even got compliments!) and i only used a light hair spray. can’t wait for Vegas in October, it’ll be my going out hair!

September 28, 2012 at 2:50 am

Can I ask how you get your hair to look so amazing???!? I have VERY thin, VERY fine hair. Has yours always been so thick and pretty? Or did you take anything like Biotin? If so, how did it work for you?

September 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Cara! I saw your first post for twirl curls, and they really do work! I had to comment because I just rocked them to my very good friend’s wedding along with your date night make-up look! (my go-to anytime I want to amp up my look). You are AMAZING and I hope your wedding is as beautiful as the bride! 🙂

September 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I hope your wedding was amazing and that you are enjoying your honeymoon!

September 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Congrats on your wedding!! I have a question about the hair tutorial…

Do you use any product before and/or after you do the curling? If so, what?

September 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Congratulations! I did this today to my hair and boy do I love it. I like that you can choose for either super wavy or maybe a tighter curl. Thanks so much. Congrats on your wedding!

September 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I just tried this today and I have to say this is going to change my life!! I have been looking for a technique to get my hair to look like this forever!!!

Thank you soooo much!
    Good luck with your wedding and marriage!

October 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I love the look! I just purchased the 1 inch hot tools iron from your link and then saw you used a 1.25 inch barrel in your awesome video. I don’t own a curling iron so I have ridiculously little experience and just wanted to ask you which iron is the best size for this technique. Thanks and congratulations on your marriage!

October 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I actually prefer the one inch, Initially I only tried it with the 1.25 inch but once I tried it with the one inch I liked it even better! Plus I think a 1 inch is the most versatile size to have!

Rebecca Stewart
    October 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I just got the Hot Tools curling iron based on your recommendation. WOW! Love it! I have really thick course hair. For the first time I have curls that last not only all day, but the next day too! Thanks for the great post and recommendation!

October 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I LOVE your blog and especially your hair posts. I have long hair like yours, but a bit thicker. I have tried every curling iron, every method and I always end up looking like a middle school girl! Always with lots of curls, never waves. PLEASE HELP!!

Brooke Wells
    October 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I love this blog page and all your tutorials!!!! & You’re so pretty!!!! 🙂

Jenny Bergin
    October 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I tried this and loved it!! My hair is shorter but it works just as well and the result is great- my new ‘going out’ do 🙂

October 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm

What kind of styling gel do you use in the video?

October 29, 2012 at 9:58 pm

no gel in this one, I like it to be really soft

November 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

This is the best explanation for how to get those curls I’ve seen … and I’ve been looking for awhile (-: Thanks!

December 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hey! I just found this on Pinterest & tried it. My hair looks amazing! This is a genius idea, never would’ve thought of it.

Just wanted to thank you for the knowledge! This is defff a blog I will keep an eye on :]

January 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Um can I just say that I tried this and I didn’t know how well it would work on my hair but oh my gosh. It is my new favorite hair style and I have gotten SO many compliments, and this was my first attempt! Thank you! 🙂

February 12, 2013 at 10:55 am

I found this on Pinterest a few weeks ago and pinned it for future reference. I tried it and it worked great. However, I received an email from Pinterest today that they had to delete this pin. This is most of the email:

This is to let you know that we removed one (or more) of your Pins as a result of a copyright complaint. The complaint was not directed against you or your Pin. It was directed against another user who Pinned or re-Pinned the same content from the following address:
    While many copyright owners are happy to have their content Pinned on Pinterest, we recognize that some do not want their content to appear on Pinterest. Where, as here, a copyright owner notifies us that they want their content removed under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), it is our policy to remove the allegedly infringing Pin, as well as all other Pins that contain the same content if the copyright owners so choses.
    Again, this complaint was not directed at you, or anything you did. We just thought you’d like to know why we removed your Pin.
    Happy Pinning and thanks again for using Pinterest.

I was a little confused-do you know anything about this? You usually pin your own entries so I didn’t think it was a copyright issue on your part. I’ve never received anything from Pinterest like this before.

February 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

I tried your twirl curl method last night and let me just say THANK YOU! getting to the back of your own head is not easy, no matter what method you use, but at least going to the trouble was worth it this time since my curls lasted all night! My hair was even still wavy this morning! I probably would have had even better results if I had used product all over my hair instead of just the roots as I usually do, or if I had started with ‘dirty hair’. Thanks again Cara!