Beauty Basics Products Tips & Tricks

Find YOUR Foundation!

“How do I find the best foundation for me!?”

Since everyone has such different need when it comes to their foundation it is really hard to match each of you through cyber space! So I will do my very best to give some recommendations here of my favorites for some specific skin types. The best thing to do though, especially if you have tried and failed with foundation before, is to go to your nearest Sephora and get matched!, Inc.

I know not all of you have a Sephora near you ( I have to drive 2 hours to get to one!) but if you do or if you will be in a city with one soon I say GO THERE!

I have probably been to 100 Sephora’s in my day and I don’t know what they are doing right with their training but not once have I encountered a snotty makeup counter girl. That is pretty ground breaking when you consider I have walked in there and asked for a sample of practically everything in the store. They don’t bat an eye (or treat you like you are wasting thier time). They NEVER pressure you to buy anything (which I love because if you pull the Victoria’s Secret Sales Consultant/STALKER trick on me, I will not be back soon). They are simply there to help IF YOU ASK…whilst giving you samples of anything you want. In other words, It’s makeup heaven. A great place to find your perfect foundation, then take it home and date it for a while before you commit.

OK so now onto my Fav’s:

For Dry/Aging skin:

Bobbi knows best. This is beautiful coverage. It has a very light from within youthful texture and doesn’t get stuff in your creases and crevices.
{get it here}

For Oily Skin:

Smashboxy BB Cream.
The BB creams really are all they are cracked up to be. So many benefits in one little package. Primes, corrects and covers. It easy to apply and has really good last.
{get it here}

For Normal Skin:

Too Faced BB Cream.
This is the one I have been using lately and I LOVE it. Covers up the problem areas but leaves the skin looking fresh and bare.
{get it here}

For bargain Shoppers:

I love this BB cream best of the drugstore brands. It goes on beautifully and looks glowy and youthful. It has a light coverage but toned my skin well.

{get it here}

August 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Whoaaaaaa… did you abandon your Makeup Forever?!? I’ve had that on my list to get!

August 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

haha I do love Makeup forever I just have been totally won over by the BB creams! If you are looking for a heavier coverage though, makeup forever is still your best friend!

August 27, 2012 at 12:17 am

Is this also known as the HD makeup?

August 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

August 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Oh my gosh, I was just at Sephora last night and left thinking the exact same thing! They make you feel like a MILLION bucks! There is no pressure to buy anything and they will teach you, show you, explain in perfect detail (multiple times), and even write it out for you (I am a slow learner). I use Two Faced BB Cream and I LOVE it. It goes on light and evens out my skin tones without covering my freckles.

September 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

i know its AWFUL all these celebs that are sdosppeuly supposed to be a example or whatever and THERE WEARING heavy makeup i mean what DOES THAT SAY TO THE REST OF US?!!! we need makeup to be beautiful?!!! the first day i didnt wear makeup i felt akward and self conscious actually i felt like that for the whole WEEK! and a lil bit after that week and every day it became less and LESS and now its been about 5 months of no makeup and i WILL NEVER wear makeup again! i am confident and sTRONG!

Alicia M.
    August 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

i LOVE my BB cream. i’ve had issues with finding great coverage without settling into my pores. i have oily skin and for some reason, i always felt cake-faced, even with mineral make up. then i tried the BB cream (which i still set with a very light powder, and it’s like FLAWLESS amazing airbrushed skin on me. i feel like it might just have changed my life. that, and your tutorial on eyebrows 😉

August 23, 2012 at 12:33 am

So gld you posted this! I’m a country girl….3 hours from anything even close to Sephora. What do you apply your foundation cream with? I’m currently using a makeup wedge but the application does tend to look patchy sometimes in good light.

H. L.
    August 23, 2012 at 1:00 am

So, do you have a suggestion for those of us who (despite every dermatologist’s over-the-counter and prescription remedy) still fight acne everyday and need heavier coverage? Heavier coverage that doesn’t look like the wearer is covered in an inch-thick coat of greasepaint? Would LOVE help with that one.

August 23, 2012 at 2:17 am

Have you tried NARS tinted moisturizer? I have normal/dry skin and love it. It has light to medium coverage but you can build coverage. And I had never used a foundation before and saw one of your tutorials where you used makeup forever and I tried it and love it!!

August 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I am 49 and of course have aging skin. I had acne pretty bad in school and some adult acne. Mostly now strange red blemishes and acne scars. I keep trying concealors and none work they all cake. I like the look of a foundation, smooth but still covering and blending. I havnt had a lot of luck with matching my skin tone, or not being too oily or too dry. Recently I tried way out of my price range, Exuviance Honey Sand and I like it a lot. I wish I could find exact coverage and color for 13 of the price. Do you have any you recommend?

August 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I am amazed. you have naturally fine eyelashes and naturally blonde just like me yet you pull of that dark hair soooo well.

August 25, 2012 at 5:09 am

Have you ever tried the Giorgio Armani foundation? There is a makeup artist who lives in my town that does airbrush and she told me thats what she wears and it looks like airbrush on her. I know you’ve tried a lot of foundations so I am curious what you think!

August 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I know exactly what your talking about in victorias secret! They have done that to me and it drove me right out the door.

August 31, 2012 at 1:00 am

I love your site, I love your makeup tips I am always looking for new and fresh ideas. I was wondering what you would suggest for someone with acne scars? I had terrible acne in high school and now I don’t have it at all but the scars drive me crazy, what would be the best foundation for scars and oily skin?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated !

September 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I really admrie you for making a video like this Natural beauty is even more beautiful to me. I only usually wear a bit of foundation, some mascara, and a bit of lip gloss/lipstick that is lightly applied. I’ve been told I look pretty without it. I used to wear no makeup at all, but I find my eyes look tired without mascara/concealer now, but maybe that’s just what I see. If you have any tips on healing dark circles, making eyelashes fuller naturally, skin care, etc, that would be awesome! ♥

Stacy Thiot
    October 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Ok, so I never comment, but I read and I had to comment this time.

I loved this post. I bought the Maybelline BB and LOOOOOOVE it. 🙂 Thank you! But I struggle with powder. I have fair skin, but am kind of tan because I live by the beach, yet the powder I put on top of BB to make it stay and such (because I have oily skin) looks orange. 🙁 Is there a better powder or spray or something to help my makeup stay on my face throughout the day? And that doesn’t look yellow/orange?

Thanks! You’re awesome, lady. Congrats on your marriage. 🙂

December 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I use L’oreal translucide. It works really well for me. It doesn’t add any weight, takes that sheen away that the BB cream has, but also leaves my face looking supple. It doesn’t even tone down my blush at all.

November 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I am almost out of my current foundation and was wondering if you have ever tried Arbonne foundation??? I value your opinion and would love to know your thoughts.

Also, are you still using Bobbi Brown foundation or is there a new one you have tried and loved?

December 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Have you tried the L’Oreal BB cream foundation? I know you said you had tried Maybelline’s BB cream foundation. I also tried that and found that it didn’t quite give me the coverage I was looking for. However, I’m a huge fan of the L’Oreal BB cream foundation. It has the skin matching pigments and they actually work amazing. Thought I would recommend it and see what you thought 😀

April R
    February 8, 2013 at 8:02 am

Hello! You have GREAT tips and tricks, so I’m hoping you can help with my challenges… reddish skin and large pores – ugh. Regardless of price, I haven’t been able to find a foundation that covers my skin (as opposed to sinking into my pores), and lasts throughout the day. I tried to HAC, which is a great idea, but I end up looking sunburned, because I can’t find a foundation and/or highligther that lightens and brightens the middle of my face. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much!!

May 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

When do you decide to use foundation? In the tutorials I have watched(mostly beginners) you just use bronzer, blush, and concealer. I use foundation everyday, but when is it necessary and when is it not necessary?