DIY Hair Hair Tutorials Tips & Tricks

Hide your roots in a hurry!

I know that having roots is super cool these days. Ombre hair is as popular on pinterest  as Nutella and Zoey Deschanel.

The problem is if your “root” colored hair is actually a big fat lie.  So in order to not look like I am balding or graying I have to do my own root touch ups regularly.

{here is the video for that}

But sometimes I don’t even have time for that. In which case I use a little secret fix right on my part.

I dab a little mascara right down my the root then I take a Q-tip and blend it in. So easy! If you have brown hair you can use brown mascara to do the same thing!

If you are blonde?

Dust a little baby powder right down by the roots and shake it around with your fingers. (It’s a great trick for oily hair too!)

Those tricks might be pretty obvious but when I was mascarifying my roots yesterday and it looked 1000 times better, I figured I had better share.

August 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Great Idea!

August 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Please do Emily Maynard makeup!!

August 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Loose Bronzer (with a big ass brush) has done the trick for me when I was blonde/strawberry blonde too 🙂

Thanks Kara, you continue to rock my socks off 🙂

August 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

That’s a great tip, Cara! Now, what do I do with my red highlights as they grow? I use a few different red tones as highlights so, it appears more like a natural red. I notice that if one dyes their whole head red without putting in different shades, it looks do much more obvious that it’s fake. That’s great for some, but it’s not the look I’m going for.

February 15, 2013 at 2:23 am

Sally, I do the same as you; when I find that I need a little touch up, I use an eye shadow that will match. It works really well on grey/white hair trying to peek through.

August 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I do the mascara trick too! (;

August 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Theres a new products for that by bumble and bumble they have brown black red and blonde. It’s a spray can almost like when you were a kid at a carnival getting your hair spay painted funky colors. You just use it on your hair line and part and it rinses off when you shower. It’s awesome really helps you go a little longer between root touch ups

November 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Great tips! I have blonde hair and am always looking for a quick cover up if I’m going out while I have roots…I’ll definitely try the baby powder!! I LOVE your hair by the way…sick.

December 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

For one horrifying moment, I thought you were suggesting I put Nutella on my head…hahahaahaha!

Charlotte from AZ
      November 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm

So did I…lol! I mean I do have dark brown hair, but couldn’t imagine smelling like a nut…
      especially a chocolate nut.! Yikes…Great idea tho!

February 15, 2013 at 2:29 am

Cara, I have been telling my friend for years that we should patent something like that!! Low and behold, I was at the 99cent store and what did I find???? Hair mascara!! lol

March 12, 2013 at 1:46 am

I dab a little dark eye shadow along my roots….it’s great for hiding greys in between touch-ups!

Kim Quinlan
      March 19, 2014 at 4:19 am

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

Brooklyn Park Locksmith
    May 29, 2013 at 12:40 am

I’m without words… Innovative will be the only method to commence to explain that. That is a big: ) within my publications!

April 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm

What a great tip!

Kimberly Summers
    November 19, 2014 at 6:38 am

Ideas for a redhead???

Sana Nurani - Vancouver Mobile Wedding Makeup Artist
    March 28, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Genius! I will try this! Question for you: do you have to wash your hair everyday if you do this? I’m afraid of the mascara transferring onto my sheets and pillowcase at night…

April 25, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I like using mascara too! Easy and cheap and looks good 🙂 Any ideas for the summer and time at the pool? I am wondering if waterproof mascara will be a little too hardcore, but I don’t want regular mascara to run 🙁
    Maybe I should just loosen up and just go au natural…hmmmm