Hair Hair Products Tips & Tricks

Don’t let build up get you down!

Hi I am Cara, I am addicted to long hair.

Sometimes when you spend your childhood  with short enough hair that the popular girls in 2nd grade ask you if you’re a boy… you get issues.

I am no exception to this.

I CANNOT cut my hair.
Even an over zealous trim can send me into a tail spin.
If you were to ask me if I’d rather have long hair or pretty hair I would say long.
If you offered me $2,000 to cut my hair I would say no (and I need $2,000).

SO you can see why I was horrified a month or so back when I felt that my hair had become so dry and unmanageable I may (gasp) need a cut.

When I went to my sister with my fears she took one look at my hair and said these beautiful words:

“You don’t need a cut, it’s build up.”

You see, I had been DRENCHING my hair in Moroccan oil hair mask in hopes of trying to repair and save it and what I was ACTUALLY doing was making the problem worse.

It was causing build up and making my hair feel dry and brittle and icky.

Anyway she explained the WHY in detail which I won’t bore you with but the WHAT is this:

Don’t overuse those deep conditioners.
Less really is more.

Use a clarifying shampoo. Like this one.
ABBA by ABBA Pure & Natural Hair Care: PURE DETOX SHAMPOO 8.45 OZ
Get rid of all that build up and then use your deep hair masks only once a week.
Only do this about once every 6 weeks, though. This too is a case of less is more.

Michelle Harrison
    July 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I sooo needed this Cara!!!! I was only a couple days ago contemplating (after years of growing my hair out) chopping it all off. I started using the Moroccan Oil about 6 months ago due to your recommendation, but about a month or so ago I started feeling like my hair was getting weighed down and blah. Anyway this post couldn’t have come at a better time!!! Thanks a TON and I’ll give the Abba a try. You’re awesome!!!

July 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Cannot wait to try this! It will be on my doorstep Tuesday 🙂

July 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Good to know. I threw a bit a of a fit a few years ago when my husband moved us to the middle of nowhere and I cut my hair to a pixie. It is now finally just past my sholders. I am going to try this.

July 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Ok but how do I get my hair long?? I cut it off last september and instantly regretted it. I had super long hair and took over 13 inches off (dont ever ever do that) its getting longer again, but I’m eager for it to be long and luscious again! I damaged it badly by stripping it to get black dye out and need to 1) repair and 2) quickly grow my hair!! My wedding is 6 months away!! Help!!!

July 7, 2012 at 4:42 am

go to costco and get yourself a big bottle of BIOTIN! this will make your hair grow faster and feeds your scalp. also take it easy with the flat iron and curling iron for the next six months.

July 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Great advice. I was thiiis close to chopping my hair after going on a deep conditioning binge in an effort to restore & heal my long, albeit parched, locks. Going to try the clarifying shampoo & the less is more approach to deep conditioners. Thanks for the tip. Love your site.

July 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I hope this helps me! I, too, have been conditioning like crazy in hopes my hair would FINALLY grow but…it still looks terrible and seems that it will never grow past my shoulders. Ughhh! I’ll give this a shot!

July 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I feel the same way about my hair. My mother cut my hair into a dreadful bowl-cut when I was in second grade. Since then, I get extremely anxious when I need to plop my bum in the salon chair, and more often than not, shed a tear when the stylist cuts off that little extra bit I wasn’t expecting. My hair has been starting to feel the same way, and I just about to lather my hair in Moroccan Oil hair mask tonight. I’m glad I came to your site first! I just ordered this and will use it as soon as it arrives.

Thank you!

July 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love the hair tip, but I cannot stop looking at your makeup! Tutorial for that look please?

July 7, 2012 at 1:10 am

My hair stylist & I have a rule: She’s not allowed to cut my hair unless I tell her twice (in separate visits).
    She’s the one who came up with this rule when I sent her a hate text after the “Hair Massacre of ’06 ” or as she calls it, “The Time You Thought You Wanted a Bob”. Whatever.
    I haven’t cut my hair since and I cringe when she tells me I need a trim. I started taking Biotin and can tell a difference, but I’ll look into this shampoo you posted as well. Thanks!

July 7, 2012 at 3:24 am

Wow! Great advice! You are amazing 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 9:31 am

I found this out by accident last month. I was broke and all I could afford was the VO5 clarifying shampoo. Used it and was shocked at how much better my hair felt. It was light, shiny, smooth and just looked great, not dried out at all, which I thought for such a cheap shampoo it would dry my hair out. I didn’t realize the deep conditioners and Moroccan Oil, used to frequently, could really do a number on your hair….
    Anyways, I’m on my second bottle of it now and only deep conditioning about twice a month and my hair has gone from dry to basically normal and healthy.

July 8, 2012 at 3:11 am

I love my long hair and had a small..I mean really small cancer scare and what scared me most was the thought of losing my hair (I even feel stupid admitting it…but it’s so true). I LOVE your blog!!! I used to buy makeup and wear it, now I live on the go. Thanks for sharing all your beauty.

July 8, 2012 at 3:12 am

I have just discovered your website thru Pintrest and I LOVE it!! This post has really struck a chord with me (as I sit here with my long hair slathered in joboba oil). I love the idea of cleansing my hair with a clarifying shampoo, but my question to you is, does your hair get really tangled? I loathe combing my wet hair! I feel like I’m pulling huge amounts out. I use a Loreal leave in, but I still feel like my hair gets abnormally tangled. It is about the same length / thickness as yours, however, I do get my hair highlighted. Thank you!!! love the site!

July 8, 2012 at 8:12 am

the first two sentences of this i laughed only because i went through the exact same thing. hated it. so i always wanted/want long hair just so that never ever happens again. looove you.

July 9, 2012 at 6:15 am

i am new to your blog and have spent about 4 hours on it! i am obsessed turned my boring sunday to a late night! thank u for all your tips!

July 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I found your blog yesterday, I freaking love it!!! Anywho do you have any tips on how to keep my red hair from washing ou? I cannot find a good shampoo or conditioner and i keep dying it every week it seems like. Its a bright red/burgundy. i have super thick hair too. thanks 🙂

July 11, 2012 at 1:56 am

I have dark brown hair with bright red highlights in it. I don’t use anything special but i have found thst Treasemee (sp?) Has a good color saving shampoo and conditioner you may wana try. I never notice my color fading quickly!

August 14, 2012 at 3:22 am

Sulfate free shampoo. Preferably a Professional Salon brand, NOT available in the grocery store… yes there is a huge difference! Also, what color are you using? I am a cosmetologist and I just starting using Goldwell’s color line. All my clients have noticed a big difference (I was using Paul Mitchell before & I’ll never go back!)

July 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love your blog! You should do a tutorial on “Bachelorette Emily makeup”

July 12, 2012 at 12:14 am

here’s another fancy tip for ya… during the summer about once a month I wash my daughters’ hair with blue dawn dish soap. Their poor blonde hair (especially my younger daughter) gets so brittle from all the swimming they do that it really looks like the only hope is to cut it all off and start new. After a good washing with blue dawn dish soap however it’s back to looking silky, shiny and smooth. It’s pretty amazing if you ask me. And yes it has to be the BLUE dawn!

July 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Brilliant! Thanks Katie!

July 12, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Love the hair tip and this website. I was wondering though if you could make a tutorial about the makeup in this photo because IT IS FREAKIN’ AWESOME AND GORGEOUS!

July 16, 2012 at 1:07 am

Another good (cheap) way to clarify your hair is lather up with your shampoo & while you still have the shampoo in dump in a bunch of baking soda & scrub & rinse like normal & follow with conditioner. It helps strip all the build up & leaves your hair really soft. I do it every few weeks.

July 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

oh i love this!!!!!

July 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Do you have a good DIY deep conditioning hair mask?

July 18, 2012 at 4:07 am

Let me do some trials and find a good one! I think that should definitely be the next DIY! THANK YOU!

July 20, 2012 at 2:02 am

After the shampoo which conditioner do you recommend. I was reading some reviews on the shampoo and it says to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I LOVE this site.

July 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

So I clicked on your links and bought both the Moroccan Oil hair mask and the detox shampoo (and the tweezerman tweezers. Lol!) and I’m in LOVE! Thanks!

August 6, 2012 at 5:31 am

I quit shampoo a few months back, everything was going great with the exception of a disturbing amount of build up. I did some research and found it was do to hard water. I used a clarifying shampoo once, then right back to my regular routine of baking soda and ASV. Now I just rinse with distilled water before I get out of the shower. It works great and no more build up.

August 20, 2012 at 1:00 am

What is ASV? I need to find a cheap alternative for getting rid of buildup. I am starting the hair one now. Thanks.

October 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Its Apple Cider Vinegar 😉

Adrians Autocare Center
    August 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for the great info, love the site! 🙂

December 28, 2012 at 6:54 am

OMG, love this tip! I must have overdone my hair with products over the busy holiday weekend.. the past 2 days have been horrible hair days! I remembered reading this post and was about to order ABBA from Amazon, but decided I needed it TODAY (well, yesterday), so I ran to my nearest Ulta and low and behold they are SOLD OUT (must mean it’s good, right?!). I ended up getting Ojon full detox Detoxifying Shampoo… used it this morning and my hair has done a complete 180!! Yes! Thanks Cara!! BTW, I swear, you must have quite a fanbase in Jacksonville, FL… our Ulta was sold out of a lot of products you praise on your blog.

August 7, 2013 at 6:05 am

How did I miss this post! I have been using Wen (because of your suggestion) and love it! Also I use Morrocan Oil, a suggestion from you and also what a hairstylist used in my hair when I got married in Key west…in the summer, I’ve been sold on it ever since. Anyway recently my hair has felt a little rough, heavy at the root and I have been using conditioner like crazy. I definitely need to try this shampoo! I Always find these best tips and your product selection for hair and make up has been perfect. Thanks for your great blog!

August 7, 2013 at 6:29 am

Thanks for your great tips Cara, you’re awesome!!

August 7, 2013 at 9:30 am

I was wondering how this is holding up with your WEN products! Are you still getting the build up? Are you still using a clarifying shampoo every now and again? Thanks! 🙂

September 6, 2013 at 5:33 am

Think I’m gonna try this today! Soo I should resist the urge to do a deep conditioning mask after the clarifying shampoo right? Love your blog!!

Stevie Sellar
    March 17, 2015 at 2:14 am

a tip for blondes: macadamia nut oil. I hatttteedd Moroccan oil.. I felt like it was too goopy and weighed me down too much. I switch/rotate shampoos and conditioners every time I shower (washing it only every second/third day), and put a couple drops of macadamia nut on my ends while wet which soaks in and doesn’t leave you looking like, well, like you’ve got oil in your hair! I also use a spray leave in conditioner that’s a detangler and use a Detango brush that’s softer on your strands. I also coconut oil treatment once a week, overnight. my hair went from above my boobs to my belly button in 6 months after YEARS of hair growth trail and error. Also, healthy eating and lifestyle is important. take a multi vitamin or hair skin nail tablet daily if you’re unhealthy like me 🙂 GOOD LUCK!