Hair Hair Tutorials My Favorites Popular Tutorials

Twirl Curls.

The. Coolest. Curling Technique. Ever.

Do I ramble in this video? Yeah, I do.

Don’t judge.
I have a serious condition akin to narcolepsy where my brain completely passes out, but unlike narcolepsy the rest of me is still AWAKE ….standing there…looking like an idiot.

There are at least 3 occasions when this happens:

1. When I am introducing someone.
I don’t care if I have known you since I was a fetus. My brain will go completely blank.
I ramble.
Seriously though, I KNOW YOUR NAME.

2. When someone asks me a question I know I am supposed to lie about (i.e. Does yellow look good on me? Should I have written that on my Facebook status? Do you know how fast you were going?)  I can’t lie. I can’t hurt feelings. Instead, I will ramble incoherently.

3. When I get in front of the camera. I really do have a point. It just takes twice the time to get there when even simple one syllable words escape my brain…lucky for you guys I cut out most babbling in this video.

Prettiest hair curling technique

98 Comments

rachel
    June 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm

double like!!!!!! TWIRL CURLS! i’ve been trying to get this look with a flat iron for the longest time. now i no.

Miranda
      September 16, 2012 at 6:44 am

You can curl your hair with a flat iron and then do the twist with it! I did this today with my hair and it turned out GREAT! 🙂

Cali
      June 5, 2013 at 5:53 am

Hi – with my super fine hair, it fell out in under an hour…what am I doing wrong, should I use hairspray or product…? Ps love everything on here, have shared it with everyone I know!

Kacie
    June 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I love it! I have twirled my hair after I curl it but I never let it sit. And I’ve never tried wrapping it around the curling iron. I usually start at the root and curl to the end. Now, I am totally doing your technique! Thanks!

Sarah
    June 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm

LOVE THIS!! And you! I have fine hair… should I use product at all when doing this?

caralynee
      June 26, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Yes! Actually I would say use a shine serum and then spray it with hairspray at the end. Stlying cream or mousse might make it hard to twirl without catching

Kayla
        November 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Cara- what Is the hair color you use? I love it, it’s almost black but not. Thank you for all your great secrets!!

L
    June 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Going to have to try this! My hair has gotten so fine over the last few years that I can’t seem to get it to hold a curl.

randi
    June 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

You are seriously undeniably hot!

cass miller
    June 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm

totally love, and totally dig these pictures. Love the edits! 🙂

Akshay
      November 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

Pure coconut oil (preferabley home-made) is good for the hair and scalp but eantig it my not prevent hair loss.Virgin coconut oil is a healthy food but as always, everything should be done in moderation.There are mny Indian herbs that may help hair loss like neem oil, amla, shikakai.Try getting them from an Indian grocer or herbalist.

Elyse
    June 26, 2012 at 10:40 pm

BASICALLY….this is amazing. How have I never thought of this before??

ps. how are you so hott?

julie davis
    June 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Maybe you said and I missed it. But, did you use any product in your hair before or after? Love it, and I never have heard of or would’ve thought that up. Thanks!

caralynee
      June 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I used Moroccan oil for shine and I didn’t use hairspray but you totally could. I didn’t want to lose the softness:)

kimi
    June 27, 2012 at 12:03 am

Love this!! I can’t wait to try it, thanks 🙂

ps. I LOVE your make-up in this, will you do a tutorial for it? Or have you already?
    xoxo

kate
    June 27, 2012 at 2:44 am

oh this curl looks amazing! i love it.

whit
    June 27, 2012 at 3:23 am

k i was wondering…. in the first picture in this post it looks like you have some red melting in your hair? do you? or is it just the lighting? i love it! who does your hair if i may ask!? love the twist curl tutorial btw.

caralynee
      June 27, 2012 at 3:31 am

Whit – haha the lighting made it more pronounced than it really is, it’s so subtle you can only really see it outside or in bright lights. I dye my own hair and my sis cuts it. THANKS SO MUCH!

Kimi
        June 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Could you do a tutorial for how you put the red in your hair like that? It looks awesome 🙂

Melissa
    June 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Love the ombre hair! As a hairdresser I find videos like this are so helpful for people wanting to try new things. Awesome blog girl!

Michelle
    June 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Love the twirl curls! Your makeup is great in this video as well, would you please do a tutorial on your makeup for this look. Thanks again for the wonderful blog!

caralynee
      June 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I sure will:) I have a gorgeous new eyeshadow pallet I used that I can’t wait to show you guys!

jenn
    June 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE this! I’m going to try it very soon! You have the most gorgeous hair!

Danielle
    June 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Omg I am sooo doing this for my Senior Portraits next week… Thank you so much 🙂 P.S. this is my Favorite Blog Now

Wendy
    June 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I’ve also had a similar affect by twisting the hair before I wrap it around the curling iron 🙂

Heather
    June 29, 2012 at 12:42 am

I love your blog! I have a screenshot on my phone of one of your “after” hairstyles and didn’t realize until recently it was from a blog.
    You are stunning and so helpful! Keep up the great work!

tess
    June 29, 2012 at 2:03 am

Could you please 😉 tell us how or do a tutorial on how to get the red ombre looking highlights? Looking to do something new and LOVE it! Love the curls too 🙂

Carissa
    June 29, 2012 at 3:54 am

Love your videos. I know someone already asked this but please do a tutorial on how you did your eye makeup in the video. I have similar coloring as far as hair and eyes but I am not bold enough to do any color in eye shadow. However I have to try your eye look it’s gorgeous!!

Heather
    June 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Love! What curling iron do you use?

caralynee
      June 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Hot tools 1 1/4″ 🙂

Venera
    June 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm

First off you are so beautiful 🙂 Second, thank you for all of your patience and creativity it’s so nice to be able to look at something like this and learn new tricks! I have a question about your hair…it seems that you may do a lot of heat styling to it which I do as well…how do you keep it so healthy and long?

Lindsey
    July 1, 2012 at 12:19 am

I LOVE your blog! You’re so beautiful and knowledgeable! Your dark hair makes me want to go dark again! FYI…sometimes in the videos since your hair is so dark we can’t see the results that well. Can u somehow lighten the room a little more next time? I envy you! Keep up the awesome posts!!

caralynee
      July 1, 2012 at 4:10 am

Yes I will! Thank you so so much Lindsey! You are so sweet.

Kelsey
    July 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm

You are GORG! Loved the tutorial, thanks 🙂

Ariel
    July 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I grew up having NO idea how to apply makeup. I didn’t know how to do it, so I didn’t:p After high school I started playing around with it more and I discovered the internet is a great place to find tutorials. Maybe a year ago I found your blog. WOW! Totally has changed how I feel about makeup. Recently I started dating this guy and he told me that I really look well groomed. Haha, best compliment ever. I credit that to you;) He complimented my brows bahaha. Learned about the importance of them from your blog. I feel like your videos are SO easy to understand. And when I try out the techniques I am always amazed that I can actually do them. One of the best things your blog has helped me with is the ability to create versatile looks and adapt techniques to suit my face and hair type. THANK YOU

Lauren
    July 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

This technique has saved me. I have pin straight hair and the curls held for eight hours for me without hairspray! It was even easier than blowing my hair out. Used a clipless hot tools iron and it worked just fine.

Rachel
    July 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I love your tutorials … You are so pretty & your hair is awesome

Amanda
    July 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Hey! Love your idea on this technique. I have been doing this for quite a while now and I twist before using the curler. Maybe something to try as well. I have long really curly hair and twirling before I curl keeps the frizz down quite a bit.

Thanks for all the awesome ideas!

caralynee
      July 18, 2012 at 4:23 am

Thanks for the tip I will try that way too!

Jaime
    July 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Amazing…I wish I could do stuff like this I have no patients, lol. I do have a questions..I have naturally curly hair, to achieve this look would I have to straighten my hair then curl it? Or just make sure it’s dry, then curl? Help the clueless please..

Jenna
    July 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Thank you so much cara for sharing this with me!! I have always had problems curling my long hair, but the twist curl really works for me! You are beautiful and your tutorial helped me more than I can say. Thanks again <3 xoxo
    -Jenna-lynn

Kerry
    July 31, 2012 at 4:27 am

You are very beautiful and creative! I was wondering, are your extensions bonded or clip-ins? And either way, do you have any styling tips for extensions? I bought expensive, real-hair clip-ins, they match my hair perfectly, but I can’t seem to get them to blend…. I do not want them to look fake! I’d love any tips , thank you so much!

domenique
    August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

i looove this look.. how woul i do this with bangs??

Sonya
    August 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm

What happened to the video? I t says its unavailable! Can you put it back up please!!! I wanted to share this!

Natasha
    August 16, 2012 at 1:54 am

My sisters and I absolutely love your website! I can’t wait to try this one out. Thank you so much for all of the amazing tips and advice! xoxo

jen
    August 17, 2012 at 8:18 am

Okay, the sound doesn’t work on my computer right now, so I can’t hear it for myself, but reading the part about….well…pretty much the entire written portion compels me to say: I CAN RELATE!!! I just tell people I have social anxiety. ….which is probably true. 😉 Anyway, fun blog! Just found it. Love it!

Lauren Lawson
    August 19, 2012 at 3:01 am

I love this!! My hair is about the same length as yours…how long does it take you to do this?

Cara
      August 21, 2012 at 12:09 am

Thank you! Not very long maybe 15 minutes total.

Lauren
        August 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I have actually been thinking about purchasing a hot tools curling iron recently since I just use my straightener to curl my hair, but wasn’t sure what size to buy. I notice you said you use a 1 1/4″ iron. Is this the size you use most of the time when curling your hair? Do you think 1 1/2″ would be too large for this techinic and most curling?

Cara
          August 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have both and I honestly use my 1 1/4″ WAY more. It is the most versatile size and will pretty much work for most girls you want to do! I LOVE IT!

Chipwell
    August 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Could your hair be anymore more awesome?? I am super jealous. I have been on a mission to grow my hair for many years now, and am always experimenting to get the perfect easy curl. I can’t wait to try this. My hair texture has changed over the past couple years and is finer than what is was so I am always looking for new ways to add curls for volume. Love your blog!

From a fellow long hair obsessed chik!

Sam
    August 20, 2012 at 2:43 am

Can i also use a straightener to do this look?

Cara
      August 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm

You could, but I think you get more body with a curling iron..

Kim
    August 27, 2012 at 3:52 am

So my hair holds a curl well but whenever I sleep on it, I wake up with really flat hair and no curl. Any tips on keeping a curl through the night?

Cara
      August 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Try a loose bun on the very top of your head, with a scrunchy.

Francine
    August 28, 2012 at 12:18 am

You are amazing thanks for all your fabulous posts. Cant wait to get home and start curling. !!! You Rock :0)

Courtney
    August 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I love your tutorials! Especially this one! I am going to have to go try it out on my hair. I have really think hair. I hope it works. I also love your hair color! Do you color your hair yourself?? What do u suggest that I put in my hair that would help hold?

Thanks so much!

Courtney

Cara
      August 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

For a softer curl like this one I really like using styling creams! Like paul mitchels brand! Thank you so much!

Ariana
    September 5, 2012 at 2:28 am

I absolutely love this! I honestly got so excited after you shook you’re hair at the end and all of a sudden got so much volume. I haven’t seen that “dreadlock” technique anywhere but I can’t wait to try it. You’re hair came out so beautiful! 🙂

Kaleigh
    September 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Love this video! I have tried it twice now and for some reason the curls on my left side, the side I start on, end up being more straight and less voluminous than the other side. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Traci
    September 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

I need to try this!

I tried using curlers before, but they never hold in my hair.
    my hair is naturally curly, but I usually straighten it and the curls are more tight than like the ones you’re doing in this video. and my hair is a little more frizzy when I let my hair naturally dry into their tight curls. so I have straightened my hair and used curlers.
    Do you have any advice? Do you think if I try the technique you used, it’ll work better for my hair? Should I put hairspray after I do this technique?

L W
      April 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Traci,
      What I have noticed in my hair, and mb this could apply to you, is that when curling my hair it always stays better when it’s curled on freshly unstyled washed hair. The way it was explained to me was that hair has “memory” and it is activated by heat. So if you straighten your hair first and it sets, your hair’s memory is set to straight and even if you curl it again it will go back to straight. I think that might be what is happening to you. Perhaps you could just your hair airdry for a little and then use a blow dryer lightly to dry it and it will dry less curly (not sure what kind of curls you have and if this would work) and THEN from that hair try durling it and see what happens 🙂 hope this helps

mieks
    September 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

You should be a teacher, i am learning soooo much, love all the tips honey *

mieks
    September 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

How do you not break your hair with the curling iron..?

Ann
    October 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Nice!! I cant wait to try those wonderfull waives on me! 🙂 thank you for this post!

Ann

Kristi
    October 29, 2012 at 4:32 am

Hi, love the tutorial. I have curled my hair this way for years but I haven’t done the “dread” twist. Although, I do a twist tech. when drying my daugters hair. I’ll put it in a pony damp(towel dry &/or let air dry for a few) then twist the hair and start drying on low heat. You have to push up on the twist while drying so you can get in the middle to make sure it gets dry or else it wont stay. Hope that makes sense, lol. Anyway thought I’d share.

Emily
    November 6, 2012 at 4:41 am

In what way did you dry your hair before curling it?

Cara
      November 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I let it air dry most of the way and then I blow dry at the root. That way I get body without the damage:)

Jess
    November 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I just tried this and usually NOTHING works on my hair, but this did! I love it! My hair actually has body! You seriously just made my day!

Jess
      November 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Actually, you just made my year to be exact 🙂 I’m definitely going to watch your other tutorials.

Kiran
    November 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love this technique…works great on my hair…thank you!

Lily
    December 28, 2012 at 12:29 am

I did this tonite on my hair and I LOVE IT! I need a little more practice but it turned out pretty amazing!!! thanks for sharing an awesome technique! you are so gorgeous and I will be visiting your website more often for hair and makeup techniques!!! LOVE! 🙂

Allison
    January 10, 2013 at 12:14 am

Love it! Are you still using Wen shampoo? I’m tempted to trying!!!

Allison
    January 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

*try

Lexie
    January 17, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Ok so I have a 1.5 inch curling iron and a small one that I use for the really tight curls. Is the 1.5 too big to do curls like these?

Carey
    January 21, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Cara!
    Just wanted to let you know I tried your “Twirl Curl” technique on my fine, hard to curl, limp hair and it worked like a charm! My hair is so fine, I couldn’t get it to stay in the ‘dreads’ after twirling them, so I just let them cool as is while doing my makeup and getting dressed and then gently tousled them (as shown in your video), added a little hairspray and was good to go! Thanks so much for the great advice!

Miranda
    February 6, 2013 at 6:07 am

Just did the twirl curl today and my hair looks amazing! Thanks!

Ana
    February 9, 2013 at 9:45 am

Love your hair tutorials! how many layers do you have? Looks like 2, but also looks like 3 lol…I’m trying to get the right amount of layers to style my hair like this! thank you!

Jessica
    February 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I have been trying to get this look for months and tried the flat iron, but it only does for the ends!! Your video made it happen. Thank you so much!! You are gorgeous!!

erin draper (@erindraper)
    March 5, 2013 at 10:47 am

Beautiful locks but could you tell me how you achieved that make-up? Thanks for all of your great tips!

Alex Jones
    April 13, 2013 at 9:58 am

This looks great! I have naturally thick and wavy hair, which is lucky, but its that kind of hair that looks magically beautiful all by itself one day and a complete shambles the next – seriously my hair is schizophrenic!
    …anyway, I usually have to throw in a few curls to get it to sit right, but i have never really known how to achieve a consistent look, until I found your blog! It works perfectly and my hair looks really pretty! Thanks so much for sharing and good look with the blogger awards! x

Meg
    May 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ve tried all of these & my hair will not hold the curl for more then an hour. I have thin hair. I’m understanding why it wont work on me? Is there anything i can do to it to help hold a curl other then lots of hairspary that maks it stiff & yunky!

Ruby
    May 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

Beautiful curls! You should show us how to do Jessica Alba waves with a straightner :/ I dont have a wand or a curling iron. Pretty please with a cherry on top! 😀

Cali
    June 5, 2013 at 5:49 am

Withy super fine hair, it fell out within an hour…suggestions, hairspray, etc.?

Laura
    June 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

Would you suggest a 1 inch curling iron for shorter hair? like medium to medium-long hair.

Monica
      July 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I’m wondering the same thing. my hair is about the length of Julianne Hough’s. I LOVE all the hair tips, but not sure how to make them work for shorter hair. Just cut it to this length from my mid back, so it’s been different.

Sasha
    June 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I tried the twirl curl this morning and I LOVE IT!! Where has this technique been all my life….seriously. I am definitely switching over.

Christine
    July 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I LOVE THIS! My hair is always straight, limp, and boring… I wish I would’ve seen this first because I think I tried 1,000 things before I finally found something that worked for me. I’m still going to try this though! If you’re interested in trying out what worked for me you can get the instructions here http://www.weartostandout.com/blog/how-to-get-perfect-wavy-hair and tell me what you think! xoxo, WearToStandOut

JFC2001
    August 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love, love, love this tutorial. Tried it out for a wedding tonight. My hairstylist was there (who normally only sees me sporting my waits-too-long-between-trims frizzball look) and raved about it! So thanks!!

Emily
    August 11, 2013 at 5:08 am

Love this tutorial. Unfortunately I have very fine hair that does not love to hold curl at all so it falls out without hairspray, but if I hairspray it too much it looks like prom hair. Do you have any suggestions on what hair products (styling gel/creme, hairsprays) work best at holding curl without making hair stiff? You’ve been spot-on with the makeup suggestions so I’d love to hear some of your favorite hair products 🙂

Justene
    August 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’m having the same problem Cali…have you had any luck since?

Kelcie Sparks
    September 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hey! would this technique work with multiple layers?

Melody Keene
    December 31, 2013 at 11:22 am

What lipstick are you wearing in the video?

amy carmichael
    July 30, 2014 at 10:13 am

This is not working for me. I am ending up with hair that looks like I rolled it with hot rollers instead of a loose, natural looking wave. Any tips? Also, it is very frizzy and messy looking. Help!

www.comercioeletronico.org.br
    August 28, 2014 at 8:25 am

Hi there to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this weblog;
    this webpage carries awesome and truly good information for
    visitors.

Susan
    February 1, 2015 at 4:51 pm

My hair is super thick so I don’t want the volume at the top. I have enough as it is. Even though I am a Texas girl. Lol but I have been twirling my hair for years to calm down the the very natural kinky curl I have. Works great for that too.

Cary Riggs
    July 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Love it!!! cant wait to try it!