Products Skin Skin Products Tips & Tricks

Self Tanning and sweating…

For ages now St. Tropez has been topping Favorite products list for best self tanner.

It was hard for me to want to spend the 40 bones on it because I am so in love with the one I already use..but  I needed to know what all of the hubbub was about, so I bought it.

Hey, it’s a great product….

but,  I am afraid it still doesn’t hold a candle to MY favorite tanner:
Tan Overnight 32 oz. Value Size Medium Sunless Tanning Lotion

For the following reasons:

1. Overnight Tan  smells better.
Don’t get me wrong, I like smelling like tequila and  corn chips and everything, I’m just not always in the mood.

2. It has Better color.
I had a few pinners complain that I was looking a little orangy right after using St. Tropez and…I kind of had to agree with them. Truth is, my inner Snooki kind of likes an orangey hue to my skin but I am sane enough to drown out that voice in my head,
I looked a whole lot more like I had just returned from St. Tropez when I used Sun Labs.

3. It’s cheaper.
Need I say more?

But who am I to be a nay sayer in a world of St. Tropez lovers? Maybe you should tell me what I am missing….maybe we should have a blindfolded tan off?

Next topic:

If you are like me you spend a fair amount of time in the deodorant aisle.
Big decisions cannot be made lightly.
Am I a coconut lime girl or an optimism girl? I am pretty positive but what does optimism smell like?
Should I get gel or regular? Gel smells better but it feels clammy, is it worth it?
Should I get the sports kind? I don’t play sports but it sounds hard core.
Most of these questions I cannot help you with. All I can say is to follow your heart.

There is one thing I CAN help you with, though.
Even the Clinical Strength is worthless.

Shocking that the Clinic would sign off on such a thing.

June 28, 2012 at 4:50 am

did you have a hard time rubbing in the sun labs one? Maybe I just got a bad bottle. Mine wasn’t the overnight one though. But even when I exfoliate before it seems so hard to rub in.

June 28, 2012 at 4:55 am

Shoot, I have only ever used the overnight tan! It is a sinch to rub in!

June 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Just ordered some 🙂 Thanks for answering so quick! I love the color of the one I have too but I am hoping this one is easier. Great product!

June 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Haa! I totally thought this post would be about self-tanners running when you sweat. I got nervous because I just purchased sunlabs on your recommendation!

July 9, 2012 at 3:37 am

LOL me too! 🙂

Cara Valenzuela
    July 2, 2012 at 2:14 am

Do you this self tanner all over including your face?

July 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm

yes ma’am! I am gonna do another self tanner vid soon cause my other still leaves some questions behind!

July 9, 2012 at 3:39 am

i am concerned about using a sunless tanner on my face because i have very oily skin and cystic acne so i have to be super careful about what i put on my face… this is one of the only reasons that keeps me from switching from fake baking to sunless…. any advice?

July 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents out there but if you’re concerned about acne give Fake Bake a try in one of their gel formulas. I suffer from acne too and I guess it’s from the alcohol content but I never break out if I’m using this self tanner; and I don’t mean “I never break out from this tanner” I mean I simply never break out. Like, at all. I went a whole month without a single flare up and then switch to xen tan and BAM! I’ve got 3 spots and a million clogged pores. Needless to say I’ve found my holy grail tanner 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

Sun Labs truly is the best. I got the smaller one on amazon for $19. I am very fair skinned and I don’t tan in the sun or tanning bed very well but this works great and looks sooooo natural! Ppl always tell me what a nice tan I have and its totally fake lol. I put it on my entire body including my face. It’s very gentle and never ever has broken me out. I use the ultra dark (it’s not actually ultra dark, so fair skinned girls don’t be scared of it, it just gives the perfect sun kissed bronze glow). You can build up to ultra dark with it though if you want.
    It’s well worth the money and the only one I buy anymore.

July 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

Another decent tanner is the Dr Gross tan towels. I got them as a free sephora sample and was impressed. They don’t give you a dark color, just a light-med glow, if you want darker color you’d have to use 2 towels. They are a bit pricy but I really liked it, easy to use while traveling. Sun Labs is still best though IMO.

July 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m so excited to try so many of your tips! Found your blog thru a pin of your twirl curl video and now I NEED to see every one of your videos. I just ordered this sunless tanner. I watched the tutorial you did in your bathroom on you tube – my only question is: do you then go to bed with it on? How long do you leave it on before you shower? Couldn’t find the blog entry, so you may have already answered this!

July 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I just bought the sun laboratories and I can’t wait to try! Thanks for all the beauty tips. Girl, you know your stuff.

July 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

YAY! Let me know how it goes! It was so good to see you and your cute hub:)

Jordin huff
    July 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hey I’m Pregnant and I love being tan but in this heat who wants to sit outside and tan (not this girl) and tanning beds are just out of the question! So I do the spray tan all the time but time after time it gets exspensive. Just was wondering how long the 32oz. Bottle of sunless tanner last you.

July 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Yes, so expensive! 32 oz lasts me like a year, no kidding, and I use it like its going out of style. Congrats on the pregnancy! babies are the freakin best!

August 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Do you use the shade medium?

August 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm

oops, i figured it out!

August 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I love the SUN self tanner. I just started using it but it’s probably going to replace all my others! Do you use it on your face too? Does it make you break out/oily/anything like that?

August 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Hi Clarissa! Yes I do use it on my face and I haven’t had one problem with it! No pore clogging or any of that yucky stuff.

September 2, 2012 at 1:18 am

Best deodorant EVER is Dry Idea roll on, regular/unscented. It…DOESN’T SMELL!! I don’t want to stink, but I don’t want to smell like deodorant either, no matter the scent. This one is a winner in my book.

September 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Do you have a separate product that you would recommend to use for your face, or do you not use anything for your face? I don’t want a white face and tan body, but I am concerned about my skin breaking out or looking a different shade.

Thanks! 🙂

December 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Can you link me to your old tan application tutorial? I cant find it 🙂

January 4, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Hey, love love love your blog!!!!!!!!!
    Can you link the one about application of the tanner?

Emily Rheinhardt
    January 9, 2013 at 7:47 am

Here’s the link, I believe …

January 9, 2013 at 8:08 am

Thank you!!

Best Self Tanner for Latino Skin
    January 17, 2013 at 12:58 am

Different self-tanners have different issues. They have their positives and negatives. Which self-tanner is going to suite a person that definitely depends on individual. Thanks for heads up though.

March 16, 2013 at 10:42 am

About the deodorant: it may sound a little crazy but….using old spice’s “Fiji” scent smells great, goes on clear, and I never sweat when wearing it….it’s worth a shot(:

April 14, 2013 at 7:30 am

I love Fiji! My fionce bought it awhile back and I used it one day when I ran out! I Been in love with it since!

March 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Does the tanner rub off on your clothes?

April 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’ve used lots of self tanners and every one of them had an odor especially when I started sweating. I’ve used some that said they had no smell, but they still had the same smell..even the spray tanning booth tan ends up with the same smell. Could different body chemicals cause different smells from self tanners or maybe with an ingrediate that is in all of them? I love jergens, and I hear they have a new one, so I want to try it, but wonder if it is a waste of money??

April 30, 2013 at 11:42 am

I live in Canada, and would LOVE to try Sun Labs – but doesn’t carry it… has anyone ever bought directly from their website and know if it’s reputable? They have some “free” samples, they cost 1 cent but to get them you have to enter your credit card… After the amazing Maskcara reviews of this product, I reealllly want to try it! I was so close to buying St. Tropez, so glad I didn’t!

selina masters
    September 10, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I have tried alot self tanners and I never get satisfying results, I wake up with blotchy legs and the color doesnt ever turn out deep , dark or even looking enough, ive been told it is because I need more melon in my skin , do u have sny suggestins?

November 3, 2013 at 6:06 am

The best deodorant EVER?! Dove’s Original Scent, solid stick. Hands down. I have tried others but this one is subtle, keeps me odor free all day and after sweaty, sweaty martial arts workouts! Also, If you want to stay totally dry? Apply Clear and Dri roll on to underarms and on your bikini line (you know those embarassing sweat marks you can get in that area?) Well, this stuff literally stops the sweat, so you stay dry Tip: DO NOT apply after shaving, it will STING. I use it twice a week at night in those areas before bedtime. It works all week long.
    Oh and I love the Sun Labs, and I have always used the TOMA too! Funny. Sometimes I go get Mystic spray tan done, but got sick of it, and it is pricey. PLUS it doesn’t last. Thanks for the tips!

March 31, 2014 at 11:29 am

My friend recommended me here – and I gotta say – I LOVE your style girl! And I love that you’re honest! I need someone to tell me NOT to buy something. That’s when I know I can trust ’em. Thanks girlie!
    -A new follower

Katie D
    May 13, 2014 at 11:10 am

I just ordered the Sun Labs tanner! So excited to try it and am banking on the no Oompa Loompa look. 😉 hoping to even out my skin on my legs where I have some pigmentation from a skin condition. 🙂

Hannah Schneider
    June 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Ok so I’m extremely fair skinned, and live in Florida. Those two do not go well. I want to look like a normal healthy Floridian. Here’s the problem. I play competitive volleyball and sweat like a man. Does this run when you sweat? At all? Thank you for your time!