My Life

Ugly is the new pretty.

So I guess it isn’t any big secret that I think Kim Kardashian is a pretty hot little tamale.
I have even been known to watch the Kardashian’s and call it makeup homework (which is pretty legit cause they wear A LOT of it). Anyway, lately I can’t even finish an episode and they sit on my tivo for days…even weeks!
Some of the Khloe and Lamar ones have yet to be watched and most likely will be deleted before they see the light of my living room.

But that is kind of off topic…

The point I am getting at is that Kim K is blowing it.

I had to unfollow her on instagram because I really couldn’t take another kissy face photo she took of herself cause she was feeling super sexy.

Dude, Kim, We get it! You are a BABE! ENOUGH ALREADY!

All of this nonesense inspired me to do something radical, maybe even stupid.

Probably stupid.

I decided to post some SUPER ugly photos of myself.
And not  ugly like “oh I am making a silly face, but still look super cute” ugly.

More like….  stripped of all makeup, tanner and I am wearing my dads pajamas – ugly.

Why on earth would I do that? you ask.

Good question.
I just feel like if you’re not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

So here’s to embracing reality, some days no matter who you are, you are just gonna feel ugly.
But friends,
You are not alone.

June 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I luv’ it…..
    And yes…Kim K is blowing it;)

Greetings from
    Kirsten , Denmark , Scandinavia

June 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Love it!

Gracey K
    June 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

You are so pretty without makeup!

June 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Where have you been?? We need a new blog post/tutorial PLEASE
    xoxo kimi

June 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I wish I was as ugly as you

June 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Love the Giants tee!

And I agree, I unfollowed KK because of all of her damn stupid pictures

June 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Amazing mama!! This is why I follow your blog. We wear make up and sometimes we don’t as everyday woman. We are lovely ladies that sometimes don’t need makeup all the time.

June 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I love this! I think we’ve all had enough of the Kardashians it gets a little old and I agree enough of the pictures Kim!!!

June 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Bravo! Beauty is inside and we all need a reminder of that. And thank you for not making the ‘trout lip face’!

June 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for keeping it real!! Love your blog.

June 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Im a SAHM in Iowa and love your blog and all you’re wonderful tips! This one is great, please keep the posts coming!

June 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hahahahhahah I LOVE THIS!!! I love all of your posts, but this is my all-time favorite! I could not agree MORE!! …. And you’re gorgeous!

Melissa D
    June 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I loved this post Cara. I don’t know you, but I respect you a lot for saying this. Makeup is way fun, but seeing too many glam shots can make girls feel pretty self-concious abut how they really look. Oh, and I think you’re pretty with or without makeup.

June 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hahaha I love that you are so human despite being gorgeous and amazingly talented with a makeup brush!

June 11, 2012 at 1:25 am

I am so happy you did this. It’s refreshing to see more ladies being realistic. Just a side note, you are super cute on your
    “Ugly” days..maybe a tutorial on basic skincare for.the not so fortunate?

June 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm

You are so great! I just found you and im pretending we’re best friends already. 😉 thank you for being real, silly, pretty, and YOU. Im lovin the blog. Thank you.

July 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm

But…..even your “ugly” pictures are beautiful 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 5:44 am

I love your blog. I do not really know a whole lot about make up, but, you blogs are educating. However, more than that, I enjoy what you have to see. This post is fabulous and true in every form…except for that part of you being ugly 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

hi! i just recently came across your blog, and i have to say, i love it! i’ve only read a couple of your posts but i find myself laughing uncontrollably, while completely agreeing with everything you have to say. this post in particular made me smile because i once too was adamant on watching every episode of kardashian-whatever, but have recently found myself not being able to sit through an episode. thanks for shedding some light as to why ive possibly been less obsessed with the beautiful people on that show! 🙂

ps. i also love how you empower everyone to embrace their beauty!

July 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I had to unfollow her, too! Grateful for you doing this : )

September 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Thank you Cara!! Amen girl! I’m a Kardashian freak and follow all of them on instagram and twitter, I had to take Kim off because of this. I’m by no means a Kim hater but it was ridiculous, we all love you Kim and your pretty but come on lets see the real you!!

September 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

So glad someone finally said it!!

September 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Really? those are your ugly photos? I’ve got you beat by a mile! ha ha but I do seriously like taking ugly pics and sending them to my sisters because we are immature and love to laugh!

Jennifera a.
    October 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m all for wanting to feel attractive- but not in a consuming way! I’m not a fan of any kardashians. They’re way too consumed with material things and looks- its a facade and so trivial to life. Thanks for being real and inspiring for young girls and women!

November 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I understand what you mean by using the term “ugly” in this post. But when I look at it, the makeup drowned freak is the ugly one to me. I can’t stand the kardashians and never will. They are vain, self-absorbed nepotists and I don’t understand why people like them. They contribute nothing to society. They aren’t even actors, they got famous off of a sex tape and have a cheap show on E! Is it because they’re “pretty”? What kind of world have we become when we like people just because they’re pretty? I honestly don’t think any of them are that pretty. I really appreciate your post, because I know your website is getting big and a lot of impressionable young girls are following you. Yes, beauty/makeup can be very fun, but when you become as self obsessed as kim, taking stupid kissy face pics of yourself all done up at every chance, it becomes a problem. And her makeup isn’t pretty; it’s excessive. I like your makeup because you never look caked on or wear too much. You don’t take yourself ridiculously serious like kim does. You’re prettier than her and actually have a personality, and you’re funny and interesting to read about! Let’s put an end to this awful message we’re sending our teens! Thank you Cara!

November 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thanks Kari! I hope that people get a chance to read this comment because you are absolutely right there is SO much more to the world than being “pretty” I know my blog is primarily about beauty but my life is not:)

December 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

That’s it. It’s official. I love you, man.

December 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Cara!
    So I’ve been spending the past little while (*cough cough* all day) scrolling through your blog, and I must say, this is one of my favorite posts! Don’t get me wrong, I love all the makeup/hair stuff (who wouldn’t?), but this one speaks to my heart 🙂 I am a freelance makeup artist, so I spend a good portion of my work-time dealing with local photographers- and while I think every woman NEEDS to have pictures of herself where she looks and feels ultra sexy and gorgeous, I also feel like we try too hard to just fixate on that ‘perfect’ image, and forget to have fun and celebrate all aspects of ourselves. I am constantly telling my photographers they should make ‘blooper albums’, not to demean their work, but as a way for others to enjoy the human-ness (aka flawed, awkward people with real-live personalities)of it all. And because I love being silly. And laughing. 🙂 So thank you for being against the grain. I salute you. 😉

heather chacon
    January 17, 2013 at 7:34 am

This is an awesome post! What a blessing this might be for all of us to remember!

ps– still not ugly! 😉

February 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Cara, you are so cute! I have always worn makeup but only recently started enjoying it — thank you for showing how you can embrace it and still be beautiful inside AND out. I absolutely adore you.

March 8, 2013 at 4:40 am