My Life

5 Things I needed to hear when I was pregnant

I was sort of blindsided by my pregnancy.
I had never given being pregnant much thought, really.
I only thought about being a mom.
I figured there would be a few months before I gave birth, that I would look like me, but with a basketball under my shirt. And that’s about all I expected.

So when my whole life and body started changing I felt like I couldn’t catch up. I couldn’t wrap my head around it.

When I look back now I wish that I had known a few things. I am sure people told me some of them, but I needed to really believe them. So in hopes that I can help someone who is going through the same thing or will go through the same thing. Read this list and try your hardest to believe it. I know that every girl experiences pregnancy differently but this is what I now KNOW.

5. Your eyelashes will grow back.
What a strange side effect of pregnancy. No one told me I would lose eyelashes. They were thinner and shorter and I thought they would never be the same, but they are completely back to normal.

4. Stretch marks may not go away but they will fade considerably.
I felt like my chest had been in a fight with a tiger. All I knew was that stretch marks are permanent. Now all I can see are a few shimmery ribbons where dark red stripes once were. I like the ribbons too, they remind me of the sacrifices I made for my sweet little boy.

3. You will be you again.
Pregnancy totally took over my life. Between throwing up, doctor appointments, showers, prepping, planning and the endless baby questions and conversations I sometimes wondered if I would ever be me again. Am I just a mom now with no identity outside of that? Will I ever be Cara again?
WOW. This one is a biggie. I wish I had known that I would Cara again, it would just be better. So much better. It takes balancing but you will get there.

2. Your body is NOT ruined.
We are women. This is what your body was made for! It’s a baby making machine! Your body may not ever be quite the same but you will definitively be amazed at how much your body will bounce back.

1. It IS worth it.
My pregnancy was anything but easy. I was sick, I gained 50 lbs (how I did that throwing up saltines 5 times a day I will never know) and I worked full time up until the day I gave birth…and I would do it all 5 times over to have Christian in my life. He is heaven. He doubled my capacity for love and joy. And I don’t just love him, I love being his mom. It is an honor.

June 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Aw! Brought a tear to my eye. I just had my second son 3 months ago. It’s funny you mention the eye lash thing because I never noticed it the first time, but with this last pregnancy my eye lashes disappeared!! I was in horror! Haha! But they are coming back. 🙂

June 10, 2012 at 12:39 am

I’m pregnant with my 4th – thank you for these reminders – even though I know them after having done this a few times – I still needed to hear it again – so thanks.

December 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I just discovered your blog today and have read it backwards from your most recent post to this point in one sitting, loving it all! While I will take note of MANY of your hair/makeup tips, this is the first post that I’ve felt inclined to comment on and I’m surprised more people haven’t! I have not yet been pregnant, but one day I hope I will be, and I will think back on this post! It’s realistic and honest and blunt but encouraging at the same time, and the love you have for your son really comes through. Keep it up, lady 🙂

Bethe @ Texas Lovely
    February 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

Oh my word, this is just what my 16-week pregnant self who has yet to encounter that second trimester bliss everybody keeps talking about needed to hear. I’m nauseous, haven’t had a good meal in 12 weeks, am taking medicine to keep food down and taking medicine to “go” if you know what I mean. I’m the opposite of a glowing pregnant girl – your little post brightened my day. It will be worth it. I can do this. And who knows, I may even enjoy food again one day. Maybe.

May 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

Cara, everytime I ready your posts, it makes me cry. They are so beautiful. You should probably be writing a book about being kind like you are. I think that’s why you’re so popular among beauty bloggers. You’re just so kind! I usually stalk peoples blogs and NEVER comment on anything because I just kind of don’t think I have anything interesting or worthwile to say but I just had to drop you a line:) You’re amazing!

my web page
    September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

After ignoring many of the posts in your webpage, I seriously such as your way of writing your blog. I added the idea to the take note of site record and will be verifying returning soon. Just sign up for the website as well and inform me all those feelings.

May 29, 2014 at 8:05 pm

When one of my sisters came out to help me with my divorce in 2007 I told her it was a privilege to have and to keep my kids with me. She said wow, she thought that was neat I saw it that way. She never had kids of her own, didn’t find the right guy until it felt too late for her to start a family. She has step kids, though. 🙂 An honor and a privilege, yes it is.

May 12, 2015 at 1:40 pm

This is so relatable to me! I had a really easy first two trimesters then…bam! Third trimester has been hard to say the least. I never knew I’d put on this much weight because I’m naturally so tiny, and gaining 40 pounds makes me feel like I’m HUGE now. I never thought I’d get stretch marks either, since I’m always slathering in oil and lotions. I should be having my baby any day now, but sometimes I’m worried that all these pregnancy side effects have gotten the best of me and wondering if it’ll actually be the same again afterwards. I also am loosing eyelashes like crazy! I cant wear mascara or hardly any makeup because they are so sensitive to any touch. I thought this was the weirdest pregnancy symptom and felt so alone experiencing it. Like really, take away my lashes?! Its so good to know it happens to other people and returns to normal after baby is born!