AskCara Hair Tips & Tricks

Over the top bun.

You know that cute bun you have been seeing on everyone that is really high on your head and looks like this:

It’s really cute…
But not the bun I am going to tell you about today.

This bun is the one I think ALL mom’s should know about, and use as regularly as I do. It keeps your hair out of your face and out of the grasp of sticky hands all day long but miraculously, when the time comes to look pretty again (like when you might be in the presence of someone over the age of you whip the bun out shake your hair a bit and vavavooom. Sexy in seconds.

I know what you are thinking: “bun all day long and no flat to the head syndrome or mid hair kinks? Is this too good to be true?!”

So here’s the downside: it is sooooooo ugly. Even your young kids might complain at the sight of it….here I’ll just show you:

Think Anne of Green gables…or more accurately Anne of Avonlea. The poof near your forehead is the worst and the best part. Be sure the secure the bun with a pen or a big mouth clip so you don’t get an elastic line.

When you pull it out it should look like this:

It is worth it.

October 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm

i just love this so much. i love it even more because i have a high bun in my hair as we speak and i just checked to make sure i didn’t look like anne of green gables. i think i passed.

October 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

It’s Mulan! Awesome!

October 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

This produces very great post-bun hair, I must admit! Are you just putting the bun up high on your head? Or is there a special little ‘woopty-woop’ trick to get it up there? I’m constantly reverting to a low side braid to keep my hair out of the way….and let me tell you…it is so ugly that I have to wash my hair to undo the ugliness it creates. hehe

November 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Adri? ‘woopty-woop’? Hahahaha! And I too have been resorting to the side braid. Braid+naturally curly hair=seriously fugly. I wish some of these hair tutorials would work for my hair. All y’all with straight hair are LUCKY!

January 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Best stinking hair tip ever! I look horribly ridiculous while I’m walking around the house but my hair is just plain sexy once it comes down. Two thumbs up!

Amanda Holland
    January 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I want to know how to do the bun! I am growing my hair out long and would like to know for when it gets there! So after you take your hair out of the bun you flip it on top of your haid then it doesn’t look flat?
    Thanks for sharing!

January 28, 2012 at 1:16 am

I want to know how to do the bun? I always put my hair up when I’m home and would love to do it!!! I don’t see a video or instructions on this post…?

July 5, 2012 at 5:17 am

Have you tried a full-rolled sock bun? There’s a tutorial for it on youtube. You can put your hair up in that, and when you take it down it looks like you’ve used a curling iron on it. I sleep in mine, and wear it around the house. Here’s a link, if you want to try it!

November 26, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hi Cara, I know you posted this a while ago but is there any chance you could show us how you got your hair up in that bun?

Angella Kroll
    February 1, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I too would love to know how you get your hair up in the bun, it’s hard to figure out from just the picture. Thanks!

March 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Yeah how do you make the bun? A video maybe?

April 2, 2013 at 4:30 am

Yes please make a video, would be really helpful! Thanks!

Angelica Telles
    April 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I almost peed my pants reading this! Couldn’t really crack up though cause everyone else is asleep. My three year old would definitely ask questions if I did my hair like this but if I grow it out I will have to try it. I stumbled onto your site through Pinterest and have been captivated even though my look is a ponytail (yuck) and very little makeup pretty much all the time. Maybe it’s time to make some effort, for a change…

August 18, 2015 at 4:33 pm

4 years later and I’d still love to know how to do this bun!