Beauty Basics Makeup Tutorials

The Ultimate Eyebrow

As we have all agreed, eyebrows are important! In this image I show the contrast between a nicely shaped brow and a sparse brow. (use your hand to cover each side separately) I think I look a whole lot sexier on the right side.

Not very sexy, though, considering I look like a deer in headlights…That happens every time I try to “smile with my eyes” Sorry Tyra, I just can’t do it.

This video will walk you through the basic brow (which looks smashing on anyone!)

I used Anastasia Brunette and an angled brush.
Save this diagram to check back with while drawing in, or shaping your brows.

1. Press the handle of your angled brush on the side of your nose to meet your natural brow line. That is a great place to begin your brow.

2. Swivel the pencil to now be hovering directly above your pupil looking straight forward. That is a great place for the highest part of your arch.

3. Now swivel towards the corner of your eye. Where the pencil now meets your brow line is a great place to end the brow.

How simple is that!?
Of course there are a million different ways to do a brow, but this basic, beauty is a genius place to start.

April 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I looooooove this! I have been tryin to figure out the brow thing on my own and it just wasn’t working out lol. Thank you for putting up all these helpful hints, seriously!

April 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

great tips! i always forget how to line it all up – this is a great way to remember.

April 22, 2011 at 3:08 am

Do you think it’s a bad idea to do your brows when you’re not wearing much eye makeup at a given time? Like doing them on a super causal, no-eye liner kind of day? I can never be objective and tell if my brows are “standing out” too much… especially because my hair is blonde.

April 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm

NO NO ! such a good idea, I am going to do a post about the “no makeup” makeup. You always want your brows because if you had naturally perfect brows they would be there when you woke up in the morning right? If I had to leave my house with one makeup application it would be brows (of course I am a fake brunette so it’s not exactly the same, but still)

Amber Herzog
        June 17, 2011 at 2:30 am

yea!! Do a blonde example!! I the little eye brows that I do that are pretty light:( I have been needing help with my eyebrows forever!! Help us:)

Amber Herzog
          June 17, 2011 at 2:32 am

wow! I can’t talk haha Maybe you could help me out there too:) haha Cara, you’re amazing! Seriously, so Beautiful!!

October 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

Yes! Love this. Can you do a blonde example?! I never know how dark and which color to use for blonde hair! I never leave the house without mascara because my hair is naturally blonde and I have white-ish lashes. Loved your 5pm class at Pinners yesterday! It was fantastic! I was so sad I had to leave early to change my baby (and didn’t get to ask about blonde brows!!)!

April 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Loved that Cara. My eyebrows are getting more sparse as I get older and I hadn’t thought to use shadow. I hate the eye pencil look. Thanks!

April 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Cara, this is a GREAT tutorial. You showed me these eyebrow tricks years ago and I have been using them literally everyday since then. It really changes my face completely in the best way. And I so agree with you.. it would be my first choice if i could only choose one item!

April 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I just love you.

April 25, 2011 at 2:20 am

found your site on today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

Are brows really Important? | Maskcara
    June 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

[…] Click Here to Go to my brow tutorial if you want to learn about the basic beautiful brow! […]

Amber Herzog
    June 17, 2011 at 2:21 am

I need help with my eyebrows!! I seriously have NO eye brows I have been tying to grow them out and they seriously won’t grow!!!

June 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I don’t have any either! it’s so sad! but you can always draw in fakes!!! I will do a blond example! good idea!

June 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I hate my eyebrows and ever since you did my Reese Witherspoon eyebrows I have wanted to add a little to mine but didn’t know how. THANKS so much for the tutorial!!!

June 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Another lightbulb came on in my head! I can’t believe how easily you explain make-up application! I have been putting make-up on for over fifteen years, and have learned more about it in two weeks from you blog. I can’t wait to do my brows tomorrow! Bye-bye pencil! 🙂

July 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I LOVE This! I was just wondering where you get your brow makeup? And also the brand? Thanks so much!

July 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm

THanks! Brow shadow you can get at it is Anastasia brand:)

January 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

wow! i love that you show your natural self without makeup and then you show how beautiful the finished look is. you have such awesome tips. THANKS!

January 13, 2012 at 2:36 am

I have a different brow problem, I have brows so I dont need to fill them in. I dont pluck because they are not badly shaped, but they grow weird, some hairs are really long and cause them to almost curl. Suggestions?

January 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm

have you tried trimming them? I would trim and use brow gel.

August 2, 2012 at 2:08 am

This is exactly how my mother showed me once I was old enough to pluck my eyebrows. Do you recommend a powder over a cream?

Melinda DeLong
    August 16, 2012 at 12:52 am

Can you tell me how to do brows when the brow hairs are so light blonde that it looks like you have no brows at all?

August 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I have super light eyebrows that are essentially invisible (I obviously have super light blonde hair). I have tried using multiple different eyebrow powders but they always look more orange. Could you please help a girl out? I have lived almost 30 years with little to no eyebrows (they are there, just blonde), but I would love to have polished brows.

September 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

Huge difference! Thank you for the tip! I never thought of how much eyebrows change a look. Love!

September 17, 2012 at 3:53 am

I need to try this as best I can. My natural eyebrows resemble Mr Spock from star trek. They are like straight slashes across my face. There isn’t much to work with. But I will give it a go.

October 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Just came upon this and love it! Does just any dark brown shadow work?

October 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm

pretty much any dark brown without shimmer:)

October 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thank you so much!! I am going to purchase the Anastasia asap! One question… when you make the initial line at the base, are you just using the brow powder?

October 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

yep, just brow powder!

November 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thank you for saving my life!! I’m a mother of 3 who just forgot about how to use beauty products properly. I just never took the time to do it right for years, and now I wondered I look tired every time I looked in the mirror!!

November 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Mother of 3! So impressed:) Glad you are taking some time for yourself, though. I am sure you need it!

Holly M
    December 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Hi cara! I’m also a natural “dishwater blonde” with blue/green eyes andI tried being brunette but It really made me look washed out out, pale and plain. I would love to try going dark again. I think it was mostly because my eyebrows are light, do you have any tips? Would you recommend brow powder/pencil in a darker shade than my natural color to tie in the whole look? Thanks! I really would like to try darker hair again!

Abbie H
    December 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

Cara, I just stumbled across your website, and I am addicted! I check it everyday for new posts, so thank you for sharing all of your beauty secrets! I also have blonde hair and light blondish/brown eyebrows. I have tried this eyebrow technique before with a light tan/brown eyeshadow and I think I just looked silly. I really want your dramatic eyebrows though. It makes your eyes look gorg! Please give me an idea of what color us blondes can use that won’t look like the blonde girl with black eyebrows 🙂

January 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hi Cara! I have really oily skin and very sparse eyebrows (despite having thick hair on my head!) Can you recommend an eyebrow powder and color? I’m somewhat fair (but tan easily) with medium brown hair. This tutorial was amazing! I tried it with stage pancake makeup ’cause it’s all I had on hand and can’t wait to try it with better tools! Thank you!

February 16, 2013 at 5:39 am

Hi Cara..What are you using for your eyebrows? Is it eye shadow?

June 6, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Sorry if I seem annoying, but I thought you had blonde hair? In this video you have brown/black hair. By the way, I have a bad obsession with your blog 🙂

June 17, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hi Cara! So I have very dark, thick brows and I’m not sure if I should fill them in to give them more shape or just leave them alone. I’m in desperate need of a professional opinion. I absolutely love your blog and I know you’ll know exactly what to do!

June 18, 2013 at 10:35 am

Cara, I am loving your advice. Here’s my question. I have some ‘silver’ eyebrows along with my brown ones. Should I pluck them out, have them colored, or just ignore them??

Paula Lowe
    August 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

Ever since I saw your brow tutorial I am obsessed with doing my brows!! I love love love your blog and glad I found it!

August 10, 2013 at 8:35 am

I am obsessed with your site! Your makeup tips are amazing and you are such a sweetheart! I’ve been plucking my eyebrows since 7th grade (I’m in college now) and I decided to grow them back out and am planning to have them professionally shaped since they were a little too thin for my liking. However, my eyebrows are SCARY! And when I try to fill in the sparse areas, I end up with sad eyebrows. Any tips on how to fill in brows while they grow back so I don’t look like sad Burt and Ernie? Thank you! 🙂

November 16, 2013 at 12:42 am

Wondering what your thoughts r on getting your brows tattooed. I heard Taryn in Vegas is fab but I’m nervous b/c it so permanent.

December 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Brow Powder Duo what you use because i have a different brand eyeshadow i try to use and i try to make a line and it is just all powdery dosent really leave a line

January 16, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Amazing! And I am not really easily impressed! So simple it is giving me inspiration, I have always been afraid to go so bold away from my (also sparse) brow.

Kelly L.
    January 21, 2014 at 7:17 am

Might be a silly question; are you placing the shadow on your skin? Or on the hair in your eyebrow? The reason I ask is when I try to do this I put it on my skin and it often ends up looking like I have dirty spots in my eyebrows. But I feel like when I fill in the whole skin area under my eyebrow it’s too dark. Am I doing it wrong?

August 15, 2015 at 7:24 am

sally tan
    October 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

You are so good with the instruction! I am forwarding this to my sister.
    I am so impressed that you showed us your before and after shot! I always believe that we must do our best to look beautiful! You are gorgeous!